Model Placement test Paper -- IT Companies
Answers are given at the end of the paper
MODEL PLACEMENT TEST – I.T. COMPANIES
Directions. Q. 1-7: In each of the following questions, choose the word opposite in meaning to the given word.
a) Wildness b) Rudeness c) Training d) Famous
a) Refusal b) Criticism c) Adherence d) Easing
a) Vandalism b) Altruism c) Radicalism d) Civilisation
a) Moving b) Revolutionary c) Reactionary d) Fixed
a) Discord b) Accord c) Regard d) Niggardly
a) Practice b) Craftiness c) Degradation d) Vice
a) Desolate b) Oscillate c) Bifurcate d) Associate
Directions. Q. 8-14: In each of the following questions, out of the given alternatives, choose the one which is nearest in meaning to the BOLD word in the sentence.
8. He has propensity for getting into debt.
a) Natural tendency b) Aptitude c) Characteristic
9. The intruders strangled the lady to death
a) Thrashed b) Forced c) Compressed d) Throttled
10. Only my neighbour succoured me during my illness.
a) Nourished b) Treated c) Aided d) Neglected
11. That case is not amenable to ordinary rules.
a) Applicable b) contradictory c) interpreted d) Dealt with
12. As they whispered, I felt awkward in their company.
a) Happy b) Ashamed c) Convenient d) Embarrassed
13. Lost in his own revery, he forgot that vicissitude can change the course of man’s life.
a) Difficulties b) Change of fortune c) Impediments
d) Good fortunes
14. He tried to cajole her, but it was in vain.
a) Enjoin b) Coax c) Rejoice d) Inspire
Directions. Q. 15-22: Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions given below it.
The principle of a time log or audit is to divide each day for the next week or two into fifteen-minute intervals. At the end of each hour, you record how the previous hour was spent. You can use an ordinary large desk diary-one page to a day - for the purpose. Or you can use ruled sheets of paper. Find a format that you are comfortable with. You may prepare a list of prominent activities relevant to your trade or profession. For example, a teacher might include such headings as lecture prepartion, marking, teaching, games and extra-curricular activities for his class.
It takes self-discipline to get started and keep going, but once, you are into the swing of it for less time, is taken up by exercise than you might imagine. It should occupy in all no more than five minutes a day. Even as you do it you may find that your fifteen minutes were not productive as you thought them to be. You may, for instance, have to walk to a coffee machine and queue for your turn.
Look back at the end of each week. You may be surprised at what a comparatively small percentage of your time is actually going on the top-priority tasks on your list. Time for planning, anticipating contingencies, thinking about opportunities and recharging you batteries in various ways is often conspicuously missing, squeezed out by the day-to-day overloading or slippage from other more routine activities. If so, it is a serious matter. For a manager’s effectiveness is closely related to the use he makes of time, which he needs to control, rather than the other way round, if he is to avoid constantly managing by crisis. In particular, achieving results through other people makes it essential that the leader of the working group manages his own time so that he has time to think ahead to tomorrow’s problems as well as about today’s decisions.
You may find that you had no idea how your me is really being spent. Memory isn’t to be entirely trusted in this area because we tend to recall the productive hours of the day and to push into the background time wasted or not used to good effect. It is not unlike the old sundial inscription which reads, “I record only the sunny hours.” The large pieces or small scraps of time taken up by matters of relatively minor importance are conveniently forgotten. These are the very items that a careful time audit should show up.
After keeping a log for three or four days, you may begin to notice opportunities for improvement. For example, you may discover that you are spending much more time than you thought possible on reading news papers and trade journals or compiling routine reports. could the latter be delegated? At the end to the two weeks when the data is available, try to group your time use under key headings such as committees; interviews’ discussions; education; figure work; telephone; dictation; thinking and others. After listing your finding and others. After listing you findings, you can carry a rigorous review of how you are spending your time.
15. The most appropriate heading for the passage could be
a) the time wasters b) effective time management c) the time log
d) None of these
16. Effective time management means
a) managing the time b) allowing the time to manage you
c) Crisis Management d) None of these
17. As per the passage, a manager is a
a) part of the group of people b) person who leads the group
c) person who leaves people to themselves d) None of these
18. For time management, one needs to focus on
a) the activities which are critically important
b) the unimportant activities which take up a lot of time.
c) auditing activities which have not been accomplished. d) None of these
19. As per the passage, preparing time log is
a) the last step in time management. b) the first step in time management.
c) secondary d) None of these
20. As per the passage, the sundial was used to
a) measure only bright days. b) measure time only when people are working
c) measure time only when the sun was shining d) None of these
1. There are four prime numbers written in ascending order of magnitude. The product of first three is 385 and that of last three is 1001. Find the first number.
(a) 7 (b) 5 (c) 11 (d) 17
2. The product of three consecutive odd numbers is 12075. Which of the following is the middle number?
(a) 19 (b) 21 (c) 25 (d) 23
3. In Arun's opinion, his weight is greater than 65 kg but less than 72 kg. His brother doest not agree with Arun and he thinks that Arun's weight is greater than 60 kg but less than 70 kg. His mother's view is that his weight cannot be greater than 68 kg. If all are them are correct in their estimation, what is the average of different probable weights of Arun?
(a) 67 kg (b) 68 kg (c) 69 kg (d) none of these
4. A library has an average of 510 visitors on Sundays and 240 on other days. The average number of visitors per day in a month of 30 days beginning with a Sunday is:
(a) 250 (b) 276 (c) 280 (d) 285
5. A pupil's marks were wrongly entered as 83 instead of 63. Due to that the average marks for the class got increased by half. The number of pupils in the class is:
(a) 10 (b) 20 (c) 40 (d) 73
6. In Infosys there are 15 employees with an average age of 36 years. The youngest of them is 20 years old and the eldest is 56 years old. Two of them with average age of 28 left the team. If one of the two come back with the condition that he will be team-leader then which of the following cannot be the average age of the new team?
(a) 35 (b) 36 (c) 37 (d) data insufficient
7. The average weight of three men A, B and C is 84 kg. D joins them and the average weight of the four becomes 80 kg. If E, whose weight is 3 kg more than that of D, replaces A, the average weight of B, C, D and E becomes 79 kg.
The weight of A is:
(a) 65 kg (b) 70 kg (c) 75 kg (d) 80 kg
8. The average weight of a group of 150 students in a class is 60 kg. If the mean of weights of all the 50 male students in the class is 70 kg, then the average weight of 100 girls in the class is:
(a) 65 kg (b) 50 kg (c) 60 kg (d) 55 kg
9. A train passes a station platform in 36 seconds and a man standing on the platform in 20 seconds. If the speed of the train is 54 km/hr, what is the length of the platform?
(a) 120 m (b) 240 m (c) 300 m (d) none of these
10. Two trains are moving in opposite directions @ 60 km/hr and 90 km/hr. Their lengths are 1.10 km and 0.9 km respectively. The time taken by the slower train to cross the faster train in seconds is:
(a) 36 (b) 45 (c) 48 (d) 49
11. A train travelling at 48 km/hr completely crosses another train having half its length and travelling in opposite direction at 42 km/hr, in 12 seconds. It also passes a railway platform in 45 seconds. The length of the platform is
(a) 400 m (b) 450 m (c) 560 m (d) 600 m
12. Two stations A and B are 110 km apart on a straight line. One train starts from A at 7 a.m. and travels towards B at 20 km/hr. Another train starts from B at 8 a.m. and travels towards A at a speed of 25 km/hr. At what time will they meet?
(a) 9 a.m. (b) 10 a.m. (c) 10.30 a.m. (d) 11 a.m.
13. A boat takes 4 hours for travelling downstream from point A to B and coming back upstream from B to A. If the speed of the stream is 2 km/hr and the speed of the boat in still water is 4 km/hr, what is the distance between A & B?
a) 4 b) 6 c) 8 d)10
14. A train can travel 50% faster than a car. Both start from point A at the same time and reach point B 75 kms away from A at the same time. On the way, however, the train lost about 12.5 minutes while stopping at the stations. The speed of the car is:
(a) 100 km/hr (b) 110 km/hr (c) 120 km/hr (d) 130 km/hr
15. A is thrice as good as workman as B and therefore is able to finish a job in 60 days less than B. Working together, they can do it in:
(a) 20 days (b) 22 ½ days (c) 25 days (d) 30 days
16. P can complete a work in 12 days working 8 hours a day. Q can complete the same work in 8 days working 10 hours a day. If both P and Q work together, working 8 hours a day, in how many days can they complete the work?
(a) 5 5/11 (b) 5 6/11 (c) 6 5/11 (d) 6 6/11
17. A, B and C can do a piece of work in 20, 30 and 60 days respectively. In how many days can A do the work if he is assisted by B and C on every third day?
(a) 12 days (b) 15 days (c) 16 days (d) 18 days
18. A can do a certain work in the same time in which B and C together can do it. If A and B together could do it in 10 days and C alone in 50 days, then B alone could do it in:
(a) 15 days (b) 20 days (c) 25 days (d) 30 days
19. If 6 men and 8 boys can do a piece of work in 10 days while 26 men and 48 boys can do the same in 2 days, the time taken by 15 men and 20 boys in doing the same type of work will be:
(a) 4 days (b) 5 days (c) 6 days (d) 7 days
20. 5 men can prepare 10 toys in 6 days working 6 hrs a day. Then in how many days can 12 men prepare 16 toys working 8 hrs a day?
A) 3 B) 5 C) 8 D) 7
21. Inside a rectangular plot, the single largest circular area is converted into a garden and half of the area of the garden is used for the cultivation of white roses. If the breadth of the rectangular plot is 154 metres, what is the area of the part of the garden which is used for the cultivation of white roses?
a. 9317m2 b. 10544m2 c. 11035m2 d. Can’t be determined
22. A boy lends Rs.2100 to a friend, agreeing to charge no interest and also to cover the amount by monthly instalments decreasing successively by Rs.10. In how many months will the loan be paid up if the first instalment be Rs.200?
a. 20 b. 22. c. 11 d. 15
of a number is 9 more than of the same number what is of the number?
a. 90 b. 30 c. 45 d. 36
24. Kamaleswar Sing buys Rs.100 shares at Rs.108. If he sells the shares after a year at Rs.138 after receiving a dividend of 6% just before selling, what is the net profit percent on his investment?
% b. 16 % c. 27 % d. 33 %
25. Lalitha had to do a multiplication of two numbers. Instead of taking 35 as one of the numbers, she took 53. As a result, the product went up by 540. what is the new product?
a. 1050 b. 1590 c. 1620 d. 1150
26. ‘A’ alone can do a piece of work in 36 days, and ‘B’ alone can do it in 12 days. ‘A’ and ‘B’ undertook to do it for Rs.660. with the help of ‘C’ they finished it in 6 days. How much is paid to ‘C’?
a. Rs.300 b. Rs.330 c. Rs.110 d. Rs.220
27. The monthly incomes of A and B are in the ratio of 5 : 4 and their expenses are in the ratio of 3 : 4. If ‘A’ saves Rs.2400 per month and ‘B’ saves Rs.1600 per month, what is the income of ‘B’?
a. Rs.2400 b. Rs.3200 c. Rs.3000 d. Rs.4500
28. Which of the following values of ‘x’ will satisfy the inequality x2 – 7x + 12 > 0?
a. x <> 4 b. x £ 3 or x ³ 4 c. 3 < style="mso-tab-count:2"> d. – 3 < style="mso-spacerun:yes">
29. In how many ways can 4 boys and 4 girls be seated in a row so that boys and girls are alternately there?
a. 576 b. 1152 c. 24 d. 48
30. The ratio of males and females in a concert is 3 : 2 and the percentage of children among males and females is 20% and 15% respectively. If the no. of adult males in the concert is 720, what is the total no. of people in the concert?
a. 1200 b. 800 c. 1600 d. 1500
31. The cost price of 12 oranges is equal to the selling price of 9. what is the profit percentage?
(a) 25% (b) 20%
(c) 26.67% (d) 33.3%
32. A shopkeeper marks his goods 30% above the cost price and offers a discount 10%. What is his gain percentage?
(a) 20% (b) 15%
(c) 17% (d) 19%
33. A book whose marked price is Rs. 650 is sold for Rs. 572. What is the percentage discount given?
(a) 14% (b) 10%
(c) 12% (d) 11%
34) The present ages of A & B are in the ratio 5:6. Three years ago, the ratio of their ages was 4:5. What will be their age after five years?
(a) 15, 18 (b) 20, 23
(c) 25, 30 (d) 14, 17
35) If the ratio of
, then what is the ratio of
(a) 3 : 2 (b) 2 : 3
36-38. The following figure depicts three views of a cube. Based on this, answer questions 36-38.
1 22 3 6
36. The number on the face opposite to the face carrying 1 is _______ .
a) 5 b) 6 c) 4 d) 3
37. The number on the face opposite to the face carrying 5 is _______ .
a) 1 b) 6 c) 4 d) 2
38. Which of the following pairs does not correctly give the numbers on the opposite faces.
(a) 6,5 (b) 4,1 (c) 1,3 (d) 4,2
39. If point P is on line segment AB, then which of the following is always true?
(a) AP = PB (b) AP > PB (c) PB > AP (d) AB > AP
40. There are 150 weights .Some are 1 kg weights and some are 2 kg weights. The sum of the weights is 260.What is the number of 1kg weights?
(ANSWERS ARE GIVEN AT THE END OF THE PAPER)
1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10.
11. 12. 13. 14. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20.
1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10.
11. 12. 13. 14. 15. 16. 17. 18. 19. 20.
21. 22. 23. 24. 25. 26. 27. 28. 29. 30.
31. 32. 33. 34. 35. 36. 37. 38. 39. 40.
1.d 2.c 3.d 4.a 5.a 6.d 7.d 8.a 9.d 10.c
11.a 12.d 13.b 14.b 15.b 16.a 17.b 18.b 19.b 20.c
1.B 2.D 3.A 4.D 5.C 6.A 7.C 8.D 9.B 10.C
11.A 12.B 13B. 14.C 15.B 16.A 17.B 18.C 19.A 20.A
21.A 22.A 23.C 24.A 25.B 26.D 27.A 28.A 29.B 30.D
31.D 32.C 33.C 34.B 35.A 36.A 37.B 38.B 39.D 40.D
Model Placement test Paper -- IT Companies Reviewed by sambasivan srinivasan on 12:01:00 PM Rating: