GENERAL AWARENESS BRIEFLY - TWO
· As per amendment to the Child Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) Act, 1986, the age-group of 14 to 18 has been defined as
E The Union Cabinet on August 28 approved a proposal for amending the Child Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) Act 1985. The Cabinet also approved another amending to define children aged 14-18 as ‘adolescents’ and prohibit their employment in hazardous establishments.
· The Supreme Court lifted recently ban on iron-core mining in
E The Supreme Court on September 3 lifted ban on iron-core mining in Karnataka.
· Out of 1.4 crore neo-librates adults, women comprise
è 72 per cent
E Over the past year, some 1.4 crore adults have been added as “neo-literates”, and nearly 72 per cent of them were women.
· The country with which India recently decided to resume bilateral military exercise
E India and China on September 4 decided to resume bilateral military exercises stalled in 2010 as part of efforts to boost defence ties and build confidence between the two neighbours.
· First quarter GDP growth of 2012-13 pegged at
è 5.5 per cent
E The gross domestic product (GDP) growth 5.5 per cent in the first quarter (April-June) of 2012-13 marked a show of persistent sluggishness from a robust 8 per cent expansion in the same period in 2011-12.
· The rank of India in recently published economic freedom list is
E India ranks very low at 111th position in terms of economic freedom, as per a global study in a worldwide index of 44 nations.
· A web portal launched by women and child development ministry is
è Track Child
E The Union Women and Child Development Ministry on September 18 decided to launch a web portal named Track Child, which will serve as a Central database of all those children who has gone missing in different part of the country.
· The person who has been appointed as new chief justice of India.
è Altmas Kabir
E The senior most Supreme Court Judge Altimas Kabir on September 29 took over as new Chief Justic of India succeeding Justice S.H. Kapadia.
· Name the High Court, which gave nod to installation of GPS system in Auto-rickshaws
è Delhi High Court
E The division bench of Delhi High Court on September 17 gave a nod to the installation of GPS system in auto-rickshaws in Delhi.
· Name the city where 16th NAM Summit was held
E The 16th Summit of Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) was held from 26 to 31 August 2012 in Tehran, Iran.
· Name of volcano which starting spewing ash and lava
è Fuego Volcano
E Guatenala, in the second week of September, evacuated of thousands of people after the Fuego Volcano started spewing ash and lava.
· Name the person who recently won the presidential election in Somalia
è Hassan Sheikh Mohammad
E Hassan Sheikh Mohammad won the presidential election of Somalia 10. He won elections by gaining 190 votes to 79 in the second round of election.
· Name the person who has been crowded as Miss India Fiji 2012.
è Sheryl Kumar
E Sheryl Kumar was on September 8 Crowned as Miss Fiji 2012 at a glittering ceremony in Suva.
· Tension grew between Japan and China over
è Senkaku Island
E The uninhabited group of Island Senkaku Turned to be the cause for mounting tensions between Japan and China.
· Name the University that has topped the list of best universities for 2011-12
è Massachusetts Institute of Technology
E Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) topped the list of best universities by the QS World University Ranking for 2011-12. This is first time that there is a massive rise in the tech-based university of the world.
· Name the country which launched a new Nuclear Safety Agency
E Japan on September 18 launched a new Nuclear Safety Agency.
· The country which declassified the existence of richest diamond reverses
E The Russian government on September 18 declassified its diamond reserves formed after a 7 kilometre wide asteroid stroked the graphite rich area of the country.
· Name the women astronaut who made a record of maximum time spacewalks
è Sunita Williams
E The Indian-American origin, Sunita Williams on September 6 booked a record for total cumulative spacewalk time of 44 hour and 2 minutes by a women astronaut with her sixth walk in the space.
· The movie which won the Golden Lion Prize for best movie
E The Golden Lion Prize for the best movie was given to the South Korean movie, Pieta directed by Kim Ki-duk at the 69th Venice Film Festival on September 8.
· The player who has been given ICC player of the Year Award for 2012.
è Kumar Sangakkara
E Sri Lankan veteran Cricketer Kumar Sangakkara was honoured with ICC Cricketer of the Year Award. He was also given ICC Test Player and LG People Choice Award.
GENERAL AWARENESS BRIEFLY - TWO Reviewed by sambasivan srinivasan on 10:27:00 AM Rating: