ENGLISH -- FOR CLERKS AND PO
Directions (Q 1-10): Read each sentence to find out whether there is any grammatical or idiomatic error in it. The error, if any, will be one part of the sentence. The number of that part is the answer. If there is no error, the answer is (E) (Ignore errors of punctuation, if any)
1. A small store of tinned provisions A) / and spirits are kept B) in a hut for the relief C) / of the shipwrecked persons D) No error E)
2. He lived with A) / his sister in a little white B) / house for half a mile 3) / from the village. D) No error E)
3. Few men died A) / until by most extraordinary accident B) before the age of six hundred C)/ few lived longer than a decade of centuries. D) No error E)
4. He was soon lost in A) / the noisy and slow moving crowd B)/ which was busy with C) / interminable bargainings. D) / No error E)
5. No sooner had he moved A) / into her little room at the top of the house B) / when the whole building C)/ seemed to be lighter. D) No error E)
6. It was made A) / through a clammy stone B) / that became C) oozier and wet as I went down. D) / No error E)
7. I had already have A) / five glasses of vodka with thorn – apple B) / and sat with my heavy C) / head in my hands. D) / No error. E)
8. When I came down low enough A) / upon the zigzag descent to see him B)/ again, I saw that he was standing C) / between the rails on the way. D) / No error E)
9. We will be encounter A)/ a few more technical terms B)/ as we go along C) / but these are the basic ones which you will need. D)/ No error. E)
10. Instead of the denominator A/ being variable B)/ like in fractions, in decimals C) it is always ten or rather tens. D)/ No error. E)
Directions (Q. 11-20): Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions given below it. Certain words have been printed in bold to help you locate them while answering the questions.
A classic film in its own right for Raj Inder Singh Bedi's profound dialogue, Hrishikesh Mukherjee's deft direction and Dharmendra's sterling performance- before he got caught 'in the web of the 'be man' image. The weak points—mediocre lyrics and lackluster music.
The film opens with Sanjeev Kumar's voiceover describing the plight of the mythical Satyakam Jabala, who takes on his mother's name because of his questionable fatherhood. While the drama begins in 1946, the narrative actually takes place in post-Independence India.
When Satyapriya's (Dharmendra) mother dies in childbirth and his father becomes a sanyasi, he is raised in an ashram by his grandfather, Satyadarshan kcharya (Ashok Kumar), a staunch nationalist and 5anskrit scholar.
While studying Engineering he befriends class-fellow Narendra Sharma (Sanjeev Kumar) but they.part ways at the end of their studies. Satyapriya finds a job in United Paper Mills in a princely state soon after Independence, but is disillusioned when repeatedly asked to compromise his ideals.
While struggling between his ideals and conscience he meets Ranjana (Sharmila Tagore), daughter of a prostitute, who is pregnant after a criminal assault. Satyapriya marries the hapless, girl, and soon- a son, Kabul (Baby Sarika) is born.
Satyapriya's uncompromising stance and his grand 'father's refusal to accept his family compels him to move from one town to another from one job to another because of his unwillingness to compromise his honesty.
Destiny lands him a job where he has to work under Narendra's supervision. Unlike Satyapriya, Narendra has learnt the hard way that to succeed and survive one has to make adjustments. The guilt of failure, more than compromise, becomes Satyapriya's driving force of life until he succumbs to cancer.
11. The story of which movie is given in the passage?
a) Dharam Karam b) Jagte Raho c) Satyakam
d) Can't be said e) None of these
12. What is/are the strengths of the movie described, in the passage?
a) Very good direction by Hrishikesh Mukherjee
b) Profound dialogue by Narendra Singh Bedim
c) Dharmendra's superb acting d) All (1) (2) and (3). e) None of these
13. Satyakam Jabala took on his mother's name because
a) Of his questionable fatherhood
b) His father had died. c) His father had disowned him and his mother.
d) He wanted 'to get admission in a Karakul e) none of these
14. Satyapriya had to move from one town to another because
a) His job was transferable b) he loved traveling
c) His grandfather didn't accept his wife d) he was firm in his stance
e) Both (3) and (4)
15. How was Narendra different from Satyapriya?
a) Narendra and Satyapriya belonged to different communities.
b) Narendra was a lustrous man while Satyapriya lived the life of an ascetic.
c) Narendra was a .doctor while Satyapriya was an engineer.
d) Narendra lived in a town while Satyapriya lived in a village
e) Narendra. Was a practical man while Satyapriya was idealist?
Directions (Q. 16-18) which of the following is most nearly the SAME in meaning as the word given in bold as used in the passage?
A) suffers b) diagnoses c) falls d) surrounds e) treated
a) Happiness b) suffering c) poverty d) courage e) death
a) Unfortunate b) lonely c) terrified d) raped
Directions (Q. 19,20): Which of the following is most OPPOSITE in meaning of the Word given in bold as used in the passage?
a) shallow b) strong c) vigorous d) serious 5) intense
a) skilled b) unskilled c) coloured d) modem e) articulate
Directions (Q. 21-25): Pick out the most effective word from among the given words to fill in the blank make the sentence meaningfully complete.
21. A law enforcement official said the crash did not ________ appear to be the result of a crime of terrorism.
a) mainly b) initially c) dangerously d) nicely
22. This was found grossly _________ for an aviation company of its size
a) insufficient b) sufficient c) unfaithful d) beautiful e) tense
23. The real meaning that verse seeks to _________ may be hidden behind a direct meaning
a) define b) send c) contain d) elaborate e) convey
24. Support and action to help save these _________ is vital if we are to avoid losing these wonderful animals forever
a) castes b) birds c) rodents d) species e) groups
25. At first sight, the Greek financial crisis _________ serious problems for Greece for the Euro, and possibly for the European Union
a) threatens b) condemn c) poses d) puts e) avoids
Directions (Q. 26-30): Rearrange the following sentence. (A), (B), (C), (D), (E) and (F) in the paper sequence to form a meaningful paragraph and. then answer the ?questions given below it.
A. In the next weighing he took two of the three coins from the group containing the counterfeit coin and weighed them. against each other
B. He split the nine coins in three groups of three coins each.
C. If they balanced, it meant that the third group contained the counterfeit-coin.
D. Now. he knew which group contained the counterfeit coin.
E. At the first weighing he took two groups and weighed them against each other.
F. If they did not, whichever group weighed lighter
26. Which of the following is the SIXTH sentence?
a) B b) C c) F d) A e) E
27. Which of the following is the FOURTH sentence?
a) F b) D c) B d) C e) E
28. Which of the following is the THIRD sentence?
a) B b) F c) C d) D e) A
29. Which of the following is the SECOND sentence?
a) C b) E c) F d) D e) B
30. Which of the following is the FIRST sentence?
a) A b) D c) C d) E e) B
Directions (Q. 31-40): In the following passage, there are blanks each of which has been numbered. These numbers are printed below the passage and against each,. five words are suggested, one of which fits in the blank appropriately. Find out the appropriate word in each case.
A little-known 31 in north – east India could be home to the world’s largest number of wildcat species, with no less than seven 32 photo-documented by a wildlife biologist at the 33 of her two-year survey. Kashmira Kakati’s camera shots 34 that the wildcats share a relatively small, 500 sq km 35 of rainforest in the Jeypore Deling lowlands in Assam, which 36 the Deling Patkai wildlife Sanctuary.
Among the cats are the elusive and 37 clouded leopard, the marbled cat and the Asian golden cat, 38 the relatively more widely 39 tiger, the leopard, the leopard cat, and the jungle cat.
“To discover what is, most likely, the 40 number of wild cat species sharing a single area gives us a mere glimpse of what species the Jeypore-Deling forests hold,” says Jim Sanderson.
31. a) village b) town c) hutment d) place e) rainforest
32. a) groups b) types c) tribes d) species e) herd
33. a) beginning b) end c) arrival d) research e) inauguration
34. a) reveal b) picturise c) photos d) indicates e) measure
35. a) long b) patch c) road d) wide e) jungle
36. a) contain b) include c) exclude d) crasses e) passes
37. a) rare b) common c) widespread d) notorious e) fierce
38. a) besides b) despite c) like d) so e) also
39. a) confined b) confound c) distributed d) robbed e) guessed
40. a) minimum b) maximum c) abundant d) plenty e) extinct
Directions (Q. 41-45); Which of the phrases (a), (b), (c), (d) and (e) given below should replace the phrase given in bold in the following sentence to make it meaningful and correct? If the sentence is correct as it is and no correction is required, mark (e) as the answer.
41. Considering the high-price of crude oil in the international market, the government can risen the price of petrol.
a) should rise b) could raised c) may rise d) will raise up
e) No correction required
42. Without both issue is clarified the Bench has kept all other matters before it pending.
a) Unless both issues are b) Until each issue were
c) Without the issue are d) Since both issues e) No correction required
43. The event has clearly highlighted his knowledge and attentive of detail.
a) attended to detail b) attentively on details c) attention to detail
d) attention for detail e) No correction required
44. The company's accumulated losses have come up for manageable levels this year.
a) come to b) came into c) coming from
d) came within e) No correction required
45. Improving public distribution system, which is one of the worst in the world, requires commitment from the country's politicians.
a) among the worse b) one of the worse c) become the worse
d) from the worst e) No correction required
Directions (Q 46-50): In each of the following sentences there are two blank spaces. Below each sentence there are five pairs of words denoted by the numbers (a), (b), (c), (d) and (e). Find out which pairs of words can be filled up in the blanks in the sentence in the same sequence to make the sentence grammatically correct and meaningfully complete.
46. Irfan was fond of birds. He preferred to ___________ them rather than ___________ them.
a) rear, eat b) keeps, fly c) pet, devour d) help, kills e) throw, keep
47. There was a ____________ when Tom and I would talk ____________ of doing such parts together.
a) place, together b) garden, about c) time, together
d) day, together e) time, about
48. The tunnel was so ____________ and congested that we became ____________
a) long, enthusiastic b) deep, cautious c) dark, frightened
d) crowded, isolated e) sharp, worried
49. His speech ____________ the need for the media to play an important role to bring ____________ on social evils
a) reflected, pressure b) communicating, attention c) stressed, focus
d) addressing, emphasis e) convinced, light
50. They have been ____________ on incentives to ____________ these practices are implemented at grassroots level.
a) relying, ensure b) improving, secure c) advocating, confirm
d) debating, necessitate e) focusing, display
1.(b) 2. (c) 3. (b) 4. (e) 5. (c) 6. (d) 7. (a) 8. (e) 9. (a) 10. (c)
11. (d) 12. (d) 13. (a) 14. (e) 15. (e) 16. (c) 17. (b) 18. (a) 19. (a) 20. (b)
21. (b) 22. (a) 23. (e) 24. (d) 25. (c) 26. (d) 27. (a) 28. (c) 29. (b) 30. (e)
31. (e) 32. (d) 33. (b) 34. (a) 35. (b) 36. (b) 37. (a) 38. (a) 39. (c) 40. (b)
41. (a) 42. (a) 43. (c) 44. (a) 45. (e) 46. (a) 47. (c) 48. (c) 49. (c) 50.(a)
1. (b) replace ‘are’ with ‘is’
2. (c) replace ‘for’ with ‘about’
3. (b) replace ‘until’ with ‘unless
5. (c) replace ‘when’ with ‘than’
6. (d) replace ‘wet’ than ‘wetter’
7. (a) replace ‘have’ with ‘had’
9. (a) replace ‘encounter’ with ‘encountering’
10. (c) replace ‘like’ with ‘as’
ENGLISH -- FOR CLERKS AND PO Reviewed by sambasivan srinivasan on 9:43:00 PM Rating: