WORLD GEOGRAPHY QUIZ
1. The equatorial diameter of earth is
Ans. 12,756 km
2. Of the estimated surface area of earth, hydrosphere covers
Ans. 71.43 per cent
3. Which one of the following is called the ‘Evening Star’?
4. The imaginary line on which the earth spins is
5. The spinning of earth on its axis is called
6. The movement of earth around the sun is called
7. The elliptical path of earth’s revolution around the Sun is called
8. When the earth is farthest from the Sun, it is said to be in
9. On which date does summer solstice occurs?
Ans. 21st June
10. The imaginary line passing round the earth midway between the North and South poles is called
11. The longest day is on
Ans. 21st June
12. 17th Parallel separates
Ans. North and South Vietnam
13. The Sun’s rising in the east and setting in the west is due to
Ans. Movement of the earth on its axis
14. Contours are lines showing
Ans. Places on earth at the same altitude
15. Indian standard time is ahead of Greenwich time by
Ans. 5 ½ hours
16. When a traveller crosses the International Date Line from West to East he
Ans. Gains one day
17. Isobaths are lines joining
Ans. Equal depth in an ocean
18. Temperate Grassland of Europe and Asia is called
19. The temperature Grassland of South America is called
20. The animal kingdom found in a particular geographical region is called
21. The organic remains of animals which have remained preserved in rocks is called
22. Which country is famous for its dairy products?
23. The largest producer of rubber is
24. The largest producer of groundnut in the world is
25. The largest producer of rice in the world is
26. The first three major coal producer in the world are
Ans. The U.S.A., former U.S.S.R. China
27. The world’s largest producer of diamond is
Ans. Former U.S.S.R.
28. The largest producer of mica in the world is
29. The main races of the world are
(a) Mongolians (b) Caucasians
© Negroes (d) All of the above
30. The deepest ocean in the world is
31. The smallest continent of the world is
32. Which is the lowest body of water in the world?
Ans. Dead Sea
33. Which is the land of white elephants?
34. What is the old name of Indonesia?
Ans. Dutch East Indies
35. Which is the smallest ocean in the world?
36. The longest railway platform in the world is
Ans. Kharagpur (West Bengal)
37. Which country is known as the “Land of Morning Calm”?
38. The heaviest mass revolving round the sun is
39. Which of the following is regarded as a perennial crop?
40. The busiest ocean route for shipping is in the
Ans. North Atlantic Ocean
41. What is the average salt content in a litre of seawater?
Ans. 35 gm
42. On 21st June, the duration of the daylight at a place on earth, with latitude 66.30’N and angle of incidence 47’ of the sun’s rays is
Ans. 24 hours
43. On 21st December, the duration of daylight at a place on earth, with latitude 66.30’N and angle of incidence 0’ of the sun’s rays, is
Ans. Zero hours
44. The deepest mine in the world (about 4 km deep) is in the Continent of
45. In which type of rocks are coal and petroleum found?
46. Name the two most important constituents of the ecological systems?
Ans. Physical environment and various organisms living in it
47. How many minutes for each degree of longitude does the local time of any place vary from the Greenwich time?
Ans. Four minutes
48. The atmosphere has been divided into sub-spheres according to the general characteristics of temperature variations. Their number is
49. The strait connecting Arabian Sea and Bay of Bengal is
Ans. Palk strait
50. Korba is famous for
Ans. Aluminium plant
WORLD GEOGRAPHY QUIZ Reviewed by sambasivan srinivasan on 7:57:00 PM Rating: