SBI P O ----2015 ---PRELIMINARY ENGLISH -- 15 qns
Directions (Q. 186-190): Rearrange the following six sentences (A), (B), (C), (D), (E) and (F) in the proper sequence to form a meaningful paragraph and the answer the questions given below.
A) The ultimate goals of a bank are to increase its market share, become more diversified, reduce the risk of entering a new business and redefined the competitive edge through acquiring different streams of business.
B) The strategic factors for existing banks competing with private and international players would be the size, quality of service and low-cost finance by achieving ‘critical mass’.
C) Consolidation will provide banks with new capabilities, technologies and products, help to overcome entry barriers, ensure immediate entry into new markets and lower operating costs through consolidation of resources.
D) In the liberalized era, banks in India will have to be competitive in order to face the challenges and leverage the opportunities.
E) Consolidation may also take place through strategic alliance or partnerships covering specific areas of business such as small-to-medium-sized enterprise (SME) lending, credit cards and insurance.
F) In contrast to the earlier experience of mergers being initiated by the regular to protect the interest of depositors of weak banks, the trend of market-led mergers between private banks and private banks with public sector banks may gain monumentum.
186. Which of the following should be the FIRST sentence after rearrangement?
a) C b) D c) E d) F e) A
187. Which of the following should be the SECOND sentence after rearrangement?
a) B b) C c) D d) A e) E
188. Which of the following should be the THIRD sentence after rearrangement?
a) C b) F c) A d) B e) D
189. Which of the following should be the FOURTH sentence after rearrangement?
a) F b) A c) C d) E e) B
190. Which of the following should be the SIXTH (LAST) sentence after rearrangement?
a) A b) B c) E d) C e) F
Directions (Q. 191-200): In the following passage, some of the words have been left out, each of which is indicated by a number. Find the suitable word from the options given against each number and fill up the blanks with appropriate words to make the paragraph meaningfully complete.
The government will not insist on Know Your Customer (KYC) guidelines on Kisan Vikas Patra (KVC), a post office savings instrument product that is being reintroduced after an over-two-year (191) but interest payments above the (192) threshold will be subject to tax deduction at source.
“There will be no KYC but interest payment would (193) TDS (tax deducted at source). Small savers, however, may be (194) as only interest outgo above 1000 will be taxed.
“In rural areas, where the unbanked population is still high, it will bring small savers into the organized (195) instead of chit funds and such schemes… The (196) of picking up the instrument from the nearest post office is huge,” said DK Pant, chief economist, India Ratings. Another official said proceeds from the instrument will not be handed out in cash, unlike in the past, but (197) to a post office savings account.
The popular Kisan Vikas Patra (KYC) was (198) out in 2011 over fears of money laundering, as anyone could invest in the saving instrument and no questions were asked about the source of income. The government is (199) it this year with the aim of (200) the savings of farmers into the formal channels. Kisan Vikas Patra was a very popular instrument among small savers.
191. a) lapse b) hiatus c) juncture d) blank e) space
192. a) settled b) specific c) precise d) prescribed e) limited
193. a) face b) feature c) count d) attract e) calculate
194. a) provided b) needed c) spared d) denied e) refused
195. a) passage b) pathways c) avenues d) means e) channels
196. a) impediment b) convenience c) accessibility d) facility e) disadvantage
197. a) deported b) assigned c) transmitted d) transferred e) relocated
198. a) pulled b) taken c) phased d) ejected e) given
199. a) reintroducing b) reviving c) propelling d) throwing e) projecting
200. a) carrying b) delivering c) transferring d) avoiding e) bringing
(186-190) : DACBFE
186. b) 187. d) 188. a) 189. e) 190. c) 191. b) 192. d) 193. a) 194. c) 195. e) 196. b)
197. d) 198. c) 199. a) 200. e)
SBI P O ----2015 ---PRELIMINARY ENGLISH -- 15 qns Reviewed by sambasivan srinivasan on 3:31:00 PM Rating: