01. New Chief Information Commissioner (CIC): Former Defence Secretary Radha Krisha Mathur has been nominated as the 8th CIC. He will succeed Vijai Sharma and will hold the post for the next three years.
02. Justice Lodha submits report: Lodha Committee which was formed to go into the allegations of IPL Spot fixing has submitted its report. One major recommendation of the committee is that no minister or Government servant should become an office-bearer of BCCI.
03. Department of Commerce wins award: The Drug Authentication and Verification Application (DAVA) project of the above department has won the prestigious e-Asia Award given by the Asia Pacific Council for Trade Facilitation and Electronic Business at Iran. The award was given for implementation of the track and trace system for markets of drugs.
04. e-Vahan Bima Scheme launched by Telengana: Issuance of motor vehicle insurance in digital form e-vahan scheme was launched by Telengana state. E- policies issued for the vehicles will be accepted as a legal document for any insurance purpose.
05. South Asian Football Federation Championship (SAFF) clinched by India: India defeated Afganisthan, former champions to lift the SAFF championship at Thiruvananthapuram. This is the seventh time that India has won this tournament.
06. Manufacturing sector shrinks for the first time in over 2 years : Manufacturing sector contracted for the first time in 25 months in December. The Nikkei India Manufacturing PMI, which is a composite monthly indicator of manufacturing performance, dipped from 50.3 in November to 49.1 in December.
07. 250 villages to be electrified every day: Government has decided to electrify 250 villages every day, as per the plan unveiled by PM Modi on his Independence Day speech. The electrification of 18500 villages will be achieved in 730 days.
08. Advertising Industry to grow by 15% thanks to the telecom companies: 4G advertisement by telecom companies, which would be launching it shortly would see an increase of 15% in the revenues of the advertising industry in 2016.
01. Union Cabinet gives nod for BRICS Network University: Union Cabinet gave ex-post facto approval for MoU on forming a BRICS Network University. The MoU is aimed at developing pro-active cooperation among the BRICS nations for the purpose of enhancement of scientific research, higher education and information exchange.
02. Sterlite Grid commissioned first power project under TBCB incentive regime: Rajasthan Atomic Power Project (RAPP) will have the power transmission project under Tariff based Competitive Bidding regime which will be implemented by Sterlite grid. 03. Pinaka II successfully test-fired: India has successfully test fired an indigenously developed a Multi Barrel Rocket Launcher Pinaka II at Pokhran. Range of Pinaka II is 60 km, while that of Pinaka I which has a 40 km range and has already been inducted into the forces.
04. Govt. signs pact with World Bank: Government has signed a financing agreement with World bank for funding of USD 50 million to assist education to minorities. This will be implemented through International Development Agency (IDA) of World Bank. 05. Lal Bahadur Sastri Hockey tournament won by ONGC: ONGC team won the Lal Bahadur Sastri hockey tournament by beating Railways in the final match. 06. Penalty imposed on State Bank of Travancore: RBI has imposed a penalty of Rs.1 crore on State Bank of Travancore for violation of its instructions with regard to reporting of data to Central Repository of Information on Large Credits.
01. Raghuveer Chaudhary selected for 51st Jnanpith award: Eminent Gujarati writer Raghuveer Chaudhary has been selected for the above award for his contribution to Indian literature. He is the fourth Gujarati to receive this award.
02. Waiver of taxes for electric vehicles in Maharashtra: The Government of Maharashtra has decided to waive registration tax, road tax and value added tax for vehicles which are being registered in the state with electricity as the source of fuel to drive them. This sop is given as an incentive in the state’s recognition to reduce pollution. 03. Housing loan disbursals slow down in PSU Banks: The housing loan disbursals declined in case of PSU banks. As against a disbursement of Rs 1,12,364 crores in FY15, in the six month period between April and September 2015 the amount of loan disbursed by the group of 26 public sector banks stood at Rs 53,641 crores. 04. DBT scheme for kerosene also: The Government will be introducing Direct Benefit Transfer Scheme (DBT) for kerosene also on the lines of LPG, from April 1st 2016, where the subsidy will be credited to the beneficiary’s account directly. The cash subsidy to be paid to users will be the difference between current PDS price of about Rs 12 and market rate of Rs 43 per litre. 05. Engineering Exports may decline in FY 2016: Engineering exports which form the major share of exports in our country may decline by USD 8 billion and stand at USD 60-62 billion, despite 7-8% depreciation in the value of Indian currency against USD. 06. Sizable increase in e-commerce revenues in 2016: E-commerce revenue may touch US 38 billion in 2016, registering a sizable increase in its share. The e-commerce transactions include purchase of apparels and electronic items, which are the first two top spots in the above segment. 07. Core sector output contracts by 1.3% in November: The output of the eight core sectors contracted by 1.3 per cent in November due to a sharp drop in steel, cement and crude oil production. The eight core industries include coal, crude oil, natural gas, refinery products, fertilizers, steel, cement and electricity. 08. India outperforms China to be the fastest growing economy: India beats China as the fastest growing economy in the year 2015 and will grow at 7% to 7.5%. However this growth will still be significantly lower than 8.1 to 8.5 per cent predicted by the government in February 2015.
01. New power project for Uttar Pradesh : A 660 MW power project was commissioned by the Public Sector Undertaking BHEL viz. Prayagraj Power Project which will be the first state of art supercritical power project. 02. India to build bridges in Myanmar: India will build 69 bridges at a total cost of Rs371.58 crores in the trilateral highway in the country of Myanmar. The project will be implemented in Engineering Procuring and Construction (EPC) mode through Project Management Consultant (PMC) and will be completed in 2019. 03.National Centre for good governance gets new head: Dr.Gyanendra D Bandgaiayn, former Chief Economist at UNDP was appointed as the Director General of National Centre for good governance, which will be a focal point for implementing good governance reforms through research, policy analysis, advocacy and capacity building. 04.Government launches National Biotechnology Development Strategy 2015-2020: The Union Government has launched the above policy with an aim to create a major mission, backed with significant investments, for the creation of new biotech products. 05. Rakhi Haldar, Kavita Devi bagged gold at National Weightlifting Championship: Rakhi Haldar and Kavita Devi on bagged gold in their respective weight categories in the Senior National Weightlifting Championships held in Patiala, Punjab.
06. India and Jordan to tie up: India and Jordan will tie up with an agreement for promoting cooperation in the field of information technology and electronics. The agreement aims to strengthen common ventures in the areas of Information Technology and Electronics (IT&E) sector.
01. Russia ties up with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL): Russia has tied up with the aero giant of India HAL to manufacture 200 Kamov 226T light helicopters. These Kamov 226T light helicopters will be useful in moving equipment and also troops to high-altitude locations.
02. Assistance to drought hit states: Union Government will provide a cumulative assistance of Rs.6794 crores to Maharashtra, Chattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh which have been hit by drought during the current year. 03. E-office for yet another ministry: Ministry of Women and Child Development will have its own e-office. Under this initiative nearly 12000 files of the ministry would be digitalized making it convenient for both the departments and the general public to transact through internet. 04. Deepak Mohanty Committee report released: This committee was constituted to increase the share of financial inclusion by banks in the country. The committee has suggested several ways and means including linking of Aadhar to more bank transactions to increase the financial inclusion. 05. No. of LPG Connections increase in 2015: The number of LPG connections across the country has gone up to 16.35 crores, registering an increase of 1.5 crores during the current year. After implementation of “Pahal”, the diversion of domestic cylinders for commercial purpose has decreased considerably. 06. 5000 crore subsidy to roof top solar plants: Centre will provide a subsidy of Rs.5000 crores to solar roof tops under the National Solar Mission. Solar plants capable of producing 4200 MW electricity would be supported in the next five years under this scheme. 07. “Pragati” used to review major national projects: PM Modi has used “Pragati, the ICT based platform for reviewing the progress of national projects. The major projects reviewed included Direct Benefit Transfer under MNREGA, and end-to-end computerization of Targeted Public Distribution System (TPDS) operations. 08. Government amends Technology Upgradation Funds Scheme (TUF): Government has introduced Amended TUF scheme which would create 30 lakhs jobs and also attract investment to the tune of Rs.l lakh crore. This scheme has a budgetary allocation of Rs.17,822 crores.
01. 2015 Jnanpith Awards announced: Eminent Gujarati litterateur Raghuveer Chaudhary has been selected for the 51st Jnanpith award. Jnanpith Award is one of the prestigious annual literary awards in country and its name has been taken from Sanskrit words Jnana and Pitha which means knowledge-seat.
02. New CEO for NITI Aayog: Senior IAS Officer Amitabh Kant has been appointed as the CEO of NITI Aayog. Mr. Kant’s appointment comes after incumbent NITI Aayog CEO Sindhushree Khullar’s extended tenure is coming on 31st December 2015.
03. ICICI Bank to sell railway tickets through its website: ICICI bank would sell railway tickets in tie up with IRCTS through the bank’s website. This facility will be available for mobile users and the bank’s e-wallet users also. Customers have to register one time with IRCTC to avail this facility. 04. Delhi Government to probe into Delhi and District Cricket Association (DDCA) : The government of Delhi has appointed the Subramaniam Commission to go into the alleged irregularities 05. IDBI Bank gets Rs 2,229 crore capital infusion from government : Public sector lender IDBI Bank would get the government fund, which would be infused to the tune of Rs 2,229 crore into the bank in lieu of preferential allotment of shares. 06. Mumbai Garuda wins Pro-Wresling League: Mumbai Garuda has won the inaugural pro-wrestling league beating Haryana Hammers in the finals. 07. Chief Economist of the World Bank indicates at India’s growth rate: Kaushik Basu, CE of the World Bank has indicated that the growth rate of India is likely to be in the order of 7.5%. Earlier the Finance Ministry of India had predicted a GDP growth rate of 8.1-8.5%.
08. Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank inaugurated(AIIB): AIIB will have an authorized capital of $ 100 billion and will be fully operational by Mid 2016. China will be have a stake of 30% in the proposed bank.
December 28th 2015 – GK Today 01. China launches “Gaofen-4”: China has launched dual use geostationary satellite “Gaofen-4”.It is designed to operate for eight years at an altitude of almost 36000 km above the Earth. It was launched from Xichang Satellite Launch Centre in the south-western province of Sichuan. 02. Vijay Hazare cricket trophy for Gujarat: Gujarat state cricket team clinches the Limited overs Vijay Hazare cricket trophy beating Delhi in the recently concluded finals which was played at Bengaluru. 03. Foreign Direct Investments in India increase: Even when FDIs across the world fell by 16%, the FDI in India has increased by 35% thanks to the make in India concept created by the Government of India. 04. Startup village in Kochi to support 10000 campus startups: The Kochi Startup Village will launch 10,000 campus startup teams across India in the next five years as part of its second phase. The Kochi Startup Village is the country’s first technology business incubator under the public-private partnership mode. 05. National Investment and Infrastructure Fund set up (NIIF): The Government of India has set up the NIIF. Multinational sovereign and pension funds from across the globe are expected to participate in the fund. The Government will contribute Rs.20000 crores to the fund, while the rest will be funded by these investors. 06. Rs.50000 crore disbursement made under MUDRA scheme: PM Modi has informed that banks have disbursed Rs.50000 crores worth of loans under MUDRA scheme. Around 80000 borrowers have been benefited under this scheme. 07. Telecom subscribers cross 100 crore mark: The telecom industry has crossed a huge milestone of 100 crore subscribers. The new year is expected to bring in more attractive low cost schemes in the telecom industry. 08. No LPG subsidy for tax payers above Rs.10 lakh annual income: The Government has announced that the LPG subsidy would be made available to people who have an annual income of less than Rs.10 lakh. People above this income level is estimated to be between 15-20 lakh, or less than 5% of the over 4 crore people, who pay personal income tax.
01. MSME losses due to Chennai floods estimated at Rs.1700 crores: MSMEs have cumulatively suffered losses to the tune of Rs.1700 crores due to the recent floods in Chennai. This was revealed by the study made by SMERA – a rating agency for MSMEs. The study has included only the manufacturing industries and the losses could be higher if the service industries are also included. 02. China’s industrial profits fall for 6th consecutive month: China’s industrial profits fell by 1.6% making the fall for the last 6 months as consecutive. This was due to over capacity and a weak internal demand. 03. 2015 was a year of startups in India: During 2015, the Indian startups witnessed huge investment from both domestic and foreign investors. The figures went upto USD 8.4 billions in nearly 1000 startups. 04. India’s Forex reserves fall: India’s Forex reserves fell by USD 1.4 billion to US 351.10 billion. Foreign currency assets (FCA), which forms a key component of the reserves, fell by $1.368 billion from the previous week to $328.269 billion. 05. Patna to get metro rail: Patna will soon have a metro rail. It has been approved by the Chief Minister of Patna and the estimate and other modalities will be sent to the cabinet for approval as soon as possible. 06. 9500 banking ombudsman complaints are pending: Nearly 9500 banking ombudsman complaints are pending with them. The number of complaints received by banking ombudsmen across the country from January 1 to December 13 this year was 87,683, the RBI said. 07. Cycle rally by Axis Bank to create awareness on Cyber crime: A cyclothon was organized by Axis Bank to create an awareness against cyber crime in Bhubaneshwar, in which nearly 400 cyclists participated. The initiative was planned as part of the customer service to create awareness against cyber related bank frauds.
08. Financial stability report warns of PSU Banks NPA woes: The Financial Stability report has warned that the PSU banks have the worst quality assets and warned them of paying over dividend to the government of India. The risk to the banking system from the domestic economy, meanwhile, has dropped to medium from high, the central bank said in its Financial Stability Report.
01. Awards for innovative payment systems: RBI has announced awards calling for nominations to the entities involved in payment solutions. Through these nominations, RBI hopes to bring about notable transformations in the payment system across the country. 02. DCB bank launches e-wallet: DCB bank has tied up with M2P to offer “Yap” an e-wallet which will offer convenient payment options to its customers. 03. 25th December is Good Governance Day: Every year 25th December is being observed as the Good governance day throughout the country. This is being observed to mark the birthday of Former Prime Minister Sri Atal Behari Vajpayee.
04. Indian Oil (IOC), Oil India Limited (OIL) and Russia’s Rosneft sign pact: IOC and OIL have signed pact with Russia’s national oil company Rosneft for seeking co-operation in geologic survey, exploration, production of hydro carbons in a few pockets in Russia. 05. Modi visits Lahore: Modi becomes the first Indian Prime Minister to visit Lahore in the last 11 years. He made an unscheduled visit to Lahore, on his way from Afganisthan and held talks with his Pakistan counterpart, Nawaz Sheriff. 06. Petroleum and allied products to remain outside purview of GST: Chief Economic Adviser has hinted that petroleum and its allied products would remain outside the purview of GST when it is rolled out for sometime. 07. India set to become 3rd largest economy in 2030: A UK report has suggested that India is set to become the third largest economy by 2030, while China would reach the top spot dislodging US as the largest economy.
08. Idea telecom launches 4G services: Following Airtel and Vodafone, Idea telecom company has launched the 4G services in our country. The facility was launched in 75 cities in the Southern Parts of India and would be soon extended to the other
01. Veteran cricketer Syed Kirmani nominated for award: Syed Kirmani, the former Indian wicket keeper has been nominated for C.K.Nayadu lifetime achievement award for the contribution made by him to Indian cricket. 02. New IT initiatives for citizen centric health service: As part of E-governance, the Union Government has launched 3 new apps and one exclusive toll free number to assist citizens / pregnant women in maintaining good health and also help tobacco uses to quit tobacco. 03. Marginal Cost of Funds Based Lending Rates (MCFLR) to benefit bank customers: RBI’s newly introduced MCFLR will benefit the bank customers, with any reduction in the REPO rate being transmitted to the customers as reduction in lending rates by commercial banks. This has been ensured by RBI in the recently framed guidelines. 04. ONGC investment plan cleared: The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEC) has cleared the investment of Rs.5000 crores by Oil and Natural Gas Commission (ONGC) into the ONGC Videsh Limited (OVL) by conversion of existing loan of equivalent amount into equity. 05. RBI extends deadline for exchange of notes: RBI has exchanged the deadline for exchange of pre-2005 notes to June 30th 2016. Until then, such notes would remain as legal tenders in our country.
01. Zimbabwe adopts Chinese Yuan as legal tender: To tide over a debt, by way of cancelling it Zimbabwe has adopted the Chinese Yuan as the legal tender inside the country. In the last five years, Zimbabwe has received more than one billion dollars in low interest loans from China, 02. Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Bill, 2015 passed by Rajya Sabha: Under this act, juveniles between the ages of 16-18 years to be tried as adults for heinous offences. Also, any 16-18 year old, who commits a lesser (serious) offence, may be tried as an adult only if he is apprehended after the age of 21 years. 03. Dampe satellite launched by China: China has launched the DAMPE satellite which will search for smoking-gun signals of dark matter, invisible material that scientists say makes up most of the universe's mass. 04. The Payment of Bonus (Amendment) Bill, 2015 passed by Lok Sabha: Under this bill, the ceiling on wages for calculating of bonus will be doubled from Rs.10000/= to Rs.21000/=. The present ceiling on the bonus amount which is presently Rs.7000/= will also be increased. 05. United Nations adopts resolution to observe World Tsunami day: UN has adopted a resolution to observe November 5th as the World Tsunami Day. The day will be utilized for raising an awareness about the dangers of Tsunami and also stressing the need for improving the warning facilities. 06. Mobile Apps for farmers: Two mobile apps namely Crop Insurance and AgriMarket Mobile. Were launched by the Union Govt for the farmers of the country. These two apps will give details on the insurance for crops and also market price of various products.
07. Indian American professor selected for US Medal: Indian American Professor Sri.Rakesh K.Jain has been selected for US National Medal. He has been selected for this medal for his individual achievement and leadership in advancing the fields of science and technology.
08. 24 th December is National Consumers Day: The formation of the Consumer Protection Act in 1986 is being observed as the National Consumers day. On this day, awareness is created about the consumer movement and also educate the consumer about his rights and responsibilities.
09. Reliance group ties up with Russia for building war ships: Reliance Defence and Russian shipbuilding company have tied up to build 4 warships at a cost of Rs.30000 crores in Gujarat, and this will be the first time that warships are being built by a private entity in India. 10. Tech Mahindra launches e-wallet: Tech Mahindra has launched an e-wallet namely Mobomoney which can be used to make payments at retail outlets and also transfer funds. It operates on a Near Field Communication (NFC) platform.
01. Supreme Court orders that RBI liable to disclose information under RTI Act: The SC has ruled that RBI is liable to disclose information about the banks and financial institutions in connection with the huge defaulters under RTI Act 2005. 02. Axis Bank will launch e-signature facility to its customers: In future, bank customers need not visit the branch to sign documents. Axis Bank is coming up with the facility of e-signature to its customers, under which the customers can affix signatures digitally. Axis Bank is tieing up with e-Mudhra for launch of this scheme.
03. Government plans to transfer bad loans of IDBI to another entity: In an effort to reduce its stake in IDBI, Government has plans to sell its bad loans to reduce the burden of NPA in the bank. IDBI Bank had a gross NPA of Rs 14,758 crore at the end of September 2015, an increase of Rs 3,199 crore since September 2014. 04. 19 crore bank accounts under Prime Minister’s Jan Dhan Yojana: Banks have opened 19.21 crore accounts under Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana with deposit of more than Rs 26,819 crore. RuPay cards have been issued to 16.51 crore customers so far.
05. Currency notes with scribbling are legal tenders: RBI has clarified that currency notes which have scribbling on them continue to be legal tenders for purchase of goods and services, thereby refuting the rumours that have been going on social media that such notes are not valid. 06. Current Account Deficit (CAD) narrows down to 1.6% of GDP: The CAD reduced to 1.6% of GDP and stood at USD 8.2 millions. This reduction is due to a lowering of trade deficit. 07. The National Waterways Bill, 2015 passed: National Waterways Bill, 2015 was passed recently, paving way for inclusion of 5 more inland water ways to the existing 106 waterways. 08. ICC Awards announced: Australian skipper Steve Smith has been given away the ICC Sir Garfield Sobers trophy for the ICC Cricketer of the Year 2015. No Indian player has found a place in the award. Best emerging cricketer award went to Josh Hazlewood of Australia.
01. Spending in Infrastructure projects increase: There was a sharp increase of 60% over the corresponding previous period in the infrastructure spending by the Government of India and the spending stood at Rs.31,250 crores. The number of projects rose by 8% during the month of November. 02. Nuclear Power plants to be set up in Andhra Pradesh: Government will clear land for setting up of Kudankulam Power Plant No.5 and 6 in Andhra Pradesh. This plant will be set up in collaboration with Russia. 03. New bankruptcy bill introduced in Parliament: Government has introduced the new bankruptcy bill in parliament which will aim at brining sweeping changes in deciding and reviving bankrupt companies and corporate houses. 04 . Government sale of Public Sector Undertakings (PSU) shares double: During the year 2015 the government has sold PSU shares worth Rs.35,236 crores as against nearly Rs.18,000 crores in 2014. During the year 2016, the government will be selling shares of the PSUs like Coal India, ONGC, NTPC, BHEL and NMDC. 05. Rs.6,400 crores spent on Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) by BSE-listed companies: A study undertaken by CII-ITC Centre for Excellence has revealed that the BSE listed companies have spent Rs.6,400 crores on CSR initiatives. Companies Act was modified and as per the new norms, atleast 2% of their three year annual average profits have to be spent towards the CSR. 06. No deadline for resolving complaints by Banking Ombudsman: RBI : RBI has informed that there is no time limit for settling the disputes under Banking Ombudsman scheme. As on date there are 9508 complaints pending under various ombudsman in the country. As per RBI's annual report 2014-15 on the scheme, a total of 88,438 complaints were handled during the fiscal. Of these 84,660 were disposed off. 07. Over 20000 bank branches in minority population areas: The government has announced that over 20000 bank branches have been opened in areas, which have substantial minority population. During the previous fiscal year alone 1,153 branches were opened in such areas.
01. Wuzen, China hosts 2nd World Internet Conference: The 2nd conference on Internet focused on the theme “An Interconnected World Shared and Governed by All – Building a Cyberspace Community of Shared Destiny” . The conference focused on facilitating strategic-level discussions on global Internet governance, cyber security, the Internet industry as the engine of economic growth and social development, technological innovation and philosophy of the Internet. 02. Banks to pay for NPAs of other banks: If a bank has lent to a particular corporate house, which is in the NPA list of some other bank, this bank has to pay for the NPAs of the other bank which has categorized the account as NPA, according to the changes that are to come into effect shortly. 03. Mireia Lalaguna Royo is the Miss World 2015: Miss Spain Mireia Lalaguna Roya has been crowned as the Miss World for the year 2015. The Miss World is a medical college student and this is the first time that there is a Miss World from Spain.
04. Pia Alonzo is the new Miss Universe: Miss Phillipines Pia Alonzo has been crowned as the new Miss Universe. She is a Filipino-German Actress Model and writes for a life style section of a leading news paper in The Phillipines.
05. Tata Motors is in the list of Top 50 R&D spenders of the world: Moving from its 104th rank in 2014 to 49th rank in 2015, Tata Motors is the only Indian Company to find a place in the top 50 R&D Spenders of the world. German automaker Volkswagen tops the list followed by Samsung, Microsoft, Intel and Novartis. 06. 2016 is the Year of Pulses: UN has announced that the year 2016 would be the Year of Pulses. The theme of the year is “Nutritious seeds for a sustainable future.” The year will focus on raising awareness about the various benefits of consuming pulses and increase their production throughout the world. 07. SBI to transform into a full fledged digital bank: SBI is planning to bring 44 crores customers on mobile / digital wallet platforms as part of its digital transformation technology for 2020 and it has an annual IT budget of Rs.3000 crores for this purpose.
01. French President to be the Chief Guest in 2016 R-Day: French President Francois Hollande will be the Chief Guest at the 2016 Republic Day celebrations, it was officially announced by the government.
02. DBS Bank, Singapore opens new subsidiary in India: Singapore’s largest lender DBS Bank has opened a new subsidiary in India viz. “DBS Asia Hub 2 Pvt Ltd.” The aim of opening this subsidiary is to provide "technology-related" services to the banking group. 03. Japan’s Hitachi to partner India Post for Payment Banks: Japan’s leading company Hitachi has expressed interest to assist India Post for setting up of its payment banks and talks are on with the authorities of Hitachi visiting India for this purpose. Hitachi payment services offer banking solutions related to ATM, point of sale (POS), cash and deposit machines and card management solutions to all leading banks of the country. 04. Amendments in the Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Order, 1950 Approved: The Union Cabinet has approved for introducing a bill in the Parliament for making appropriate Amendments in the Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Order 1950. Accordingly the list of SCs and OBCs in some states are being modified. 05. India 1 ATMs to add 1000 Machines in 2016: BTI services which operates India 1 ATMs will add another 100 ATMs in 2016, thus taking the total tally to 4000 ATMs. BTI Payments which is a joint venture between BANKTECH Group of Australia and private equity firm ICICI Ventures, stands amongst the top 5 ATM deployers in the banking industry. 2015 Sanctuary Lifetime Service Award goes to husband and wife: The Pair of Claude and Norma Alvares were given away with the 2015 Sanctuary Lifetime Service Award by Sanctuary Asia magazine for sustainable contribution made by them in their respective fields.
07. Marginal Cost of Funds Methodology guidelines released by RBI: RBI has released the calculation of interest by banks basing on the Marginal Cost of Funds Methodology. This will aim at the interest rates being sensitive to changes in CRR and SLR.
1. British Novelist Peter Dickinson passed away: British Novelist Peter Dickinson passed away on 16 December 2015 following a brief illness in Winchester, Hampshire. He was 88. He was a prolific novelist for adults and children. He had the distinction of being the first author to receive twice the prestigious Carnegie medal awarded annually in Britain by librarians for the outstanding new children's book.
2. Jeff Williams appointed as Chief Operating Officer of Apple Inc: Jeff Williams was on 18 December 2015 appointed as the Chief Operating Officer (COO) of Apple Inc. The post of COO of the company had been lying vacant since Tim Cook's ascension to position of Chief Executive Officer of Apple Inc in 2011.
3. Radha Krishna Mathur appointed as Chief Information Commissioner of India: Former Defence Secretary Radha Krishna Mathur was on 18 December 2015 appointed as Chief Information Commissioner (CIC) of India. He succeeded Vijai Sharma, who completed his tenure on 1 December 2015. With this, Mathur became the eigth CIC of India. He will have tenure of about three years, till he attains the age of 65 years.
4. DAC approved purchase of Russian S-400 Triumf Air Defence Missile System: The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) on 18 December 2015 approved the purchase of Russian advance S-400 Triumf Air Defence Missile Systems from Russia at an estimated cost of 40000 crore rupees. The approval was given by Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar during DAC meeting in New Delhi. 5. Chennaiyin FC crowned 2015 ISL champion: Chennaiyin FC was crowned as the champions of the 2nd Indian Super League (ISL) Football tournament on 20 December 2015. In the final played at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Fatorda, Goa, Chennaiyin defeated the hosts FC Goa, 3-2.
1. Jet Airways Chief Executive Officer Cramer Ball resigned: Jet Airways on 17 December 2015 announced that its Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Cramer Ball has resigned from the post with effect from 29 February 2016. Jet's director Gaurang Shetty will be the acting CEO of the airline. Ball was appointed as Jet’s CEO in May 2014 when the airline was witnessing an exodus of top management after the airline sold 24 percent stake to Abu Dhabi's Etihad in 2013.
2. Veteran Communist leader Noorul Huda passed away: Noorul Huda, veteran leader of Communist Party of India (M) of eastern India, passed away on 17 December 2015 following a cardiac arrest in Kolkata. He was 86. Huda is survived by his wife.
3. Hindustan Unilever signed agreement with Mosons Group to acquire Indulekha: Hindustan Unilever (HUL) on 17 December 2015 announced that it signed an agreement with Mosons Group to acquire its flagship brand Indulekha for 330 crore rupees. The proposed acquisition is in line with HUL’s strategic intent to strengthen its leadership position in Personal Care. 4. WTO approved Afghanistan’s membership terms to join as 163rd member: World Trade Organisation (WTO) on 17 December 2015 unanimously approved Afghanistan’s WTO membership at the WTO’s Tenth Ministerial Conference (MC10) in Nairobi, the capital of Kenya. 5. International Migrants Day observed across the world: International Migrants Day was observed across the world on 18 December 2015. Since 2014, more than 5000 women, men and children lost their lives in search of protection and a better life while migrating.
1. Union Cabinet approved MoU with BRICS for energy conservation: The Union Cabinet on 16 December 2015 gave its ex-post facto approval to a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between India and BRICS countries (Brazil, Russia, China and South Africa) for strengthening energy efficiency cooperation. 2. Union Cabinet approved revised Model Text for Indian Bilateral Investment Treaty: The Union Cabinet, presided by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on 16 December 2015 gave its approval for the revised Model Text for the Indian Bilateral Investment Treaty (BIT). The revised Indian model text for BIT will replace the existing Indian Model BIT. 3. AP cabinet decided to abolish VAT, CST on sugar factories: Andhra Pradesh Cabinet chaired by Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu on 16 December 2015 decided to abolish VAT (Value-added tax), CST (Central Sales Tax) on Sugar factories. 4. IRCTC tied-up with Paytm for e-catering payment: Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) on 16 December 2015 tied-up with mobile commerce platform Paytm to offer an additional payment gateway for food ordered through its e-catering facility. Travelling passengers will have an array of choices for making payments for e-catering like pre-paid (online payment) or cash on delivery (CoD) as per their convenience.
5. Federal Reserve of US increased interest rate by 0.25% for the first time since 2006: The Federal Reserve System, the central banking system of the USA, on 16 December 2015 increased interest rate by 0.25 percent. A decision in this regard was approved by the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System chaired by Janet L Yellen. 6. Union Cabinet approved Amendments in the Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Order, 1950: Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 16 Decemeber 2015 gave its approval for introduction of a Bill in the Parliament for Amendments in the Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Order, 1950. The bill seeks to modify the list of Scheduled Castes in respect of Chhattisgarh, Haryana, Kerala, Odisha and West Bengal and in the Central List of Other Backward Classes (OBCs) of Chhattisgarh, Haryana and Kerala consequent upon inclusion of certain castes or parts thereof in the lists of Scheduled Castes.
1. Arun Kumar Jain appointed Central Board of Direct Taxes Chairman: Senior revenue service officer Arun Kumar Jain on 15 December 2015 was appointed Chairman of Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT). The appointment of Jain as the CBDT chairman was also approved by the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet. Jain will have short tenure of two months, till January 2016. 2. Shiva, Mandeep among four boxers to receive IOC Olympic scholarships: Four Indian boxers, namely Shiva Thapa, Mandeep Jangra, Gaurav Bidhuri and Sumit Sangwan on 15 December 2015 were selected by the International Olympics Committee (IOC) for a scholarship.
Under the scholarship, the boxers will get a sum of 800 US dollars (about 53 thousand rupees) every month till August 2016, provided they qualify for the Olympic Games. The will also get an additional 5000 US Dollars (about 3 lakh 34 thousand rupees) to cover their transportation cost for participation in the Olympic qualifying events.
Shiva 3. Snapdeal launched mobile website in Hindi, Telugu: Online marketplace Snapdeal.com on 15 December 2015 launched its mobile website in Hindi and Telugu language. With this platform, Snapdeal will now cater to 270 million users in India.
4. Commanders Conference held in Kochi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 15 December 2015 chaired the combined Commanders Conference, an annual tri-services event held on board INS Vikramaditya about 50 kms off Kochi coast, Kerala. 5. Rory McIlroy bagged European Tour Golfer of the Year award: Rory McIlroy on 15 December 2015 was named the European Tour Golfer of the Year. He received the award for the third time in four years. McIlroy bagged the European Tour Golfer of the Year award after a panel consisting of members of the golfing media unanimously voted for him as the 2015 winner.
6. 14th Meeting of Heads of Governments of SCO Member States concluded in Zhengzhou, China: The two-day 14th Meeting of the Council of Heads of Governments of Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (CSO) Member States was concluded on 15 December 2015. It was held at Zhengzhou, which is the provincial capital of Henan Province in east-central China. 7. Apurvi Chandela, Chain Singh won Gold at 59th National Shooting Championship: Rajasthan's Apurvi Chandela on 15 December 2015 won a Gold medal in the 10-metre Air Rifle event on the final day of the 59th National Shooting Championship in Delhi.
Apurvi Chandela 8. Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation approved Smart City Proposal for Maharashtra: Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) on 15 December 2015 approved the Smart City Proposal (SCP) for Maharashtra with worth of 32000 crore rupees. Mumbai’s proposal appeared to be less ambitious with an outlay of 1018 crore rupees.
1. Operation Smile-II to start from 1 January 2016: Union Government on 14 December 2015 requested the states and Union Territories (UT) to start Operation Smile-II from 1 January 2016. The operation will end on 31 January 2016. In this regard, the Union Home Secretary, Rajiv Mehrishi has written a letter to the Chief Secretaries of all states and Union Territories for participation in Operation Smile-II in their respective State/UT. 2. Union Government appointed L Narasimha Reddy to head Judicial Committee on OROP: The Union Government on 14 December 2015 appointed Justice L Narasimha Reddy, retired Chief Justice of Patna High Court, to head the Judicial Committee which will look into the implementation of One Rank One Pension (OROP) scheme for the ex-servicemen. 3. Delhi became first state to implement Radhakrishnan panel recommendations on Road Safety: To deal with traffic violations in the city, the Delhi Traffic Police will start implementation of recommendations of the Supreme Court appointed committee chaired by Justice KS Radhakrishnan from 15 December 2015. With this, Delhi Traffic Police is the first in the country to implement the directions of the Supreme court appointed three-member committee on Road Safety. 4. United Nations Human Development Report 2015 released: The United Nations Human Development Report 2015 was released on 14 December 2015 with the title Work for Human Development in Ethiopia. As per the report, 2 billion people lifted out of low human development in last 25 years. 5. World Bank released Shock Waves: Managing the Impacts of Climate Change on Poverty report: World Bank in December 2015 released a report entitledShock Waves: Managing the Impacts of Climate Change on Poverty. The report examines the two-way relation (interplay) between climate change and poverty and concludes that climate change is one of the primary contributing factors for growing poverty scenario across the world. 6. Renowned violinist Itzhak Perlman won 2016 Genesis Prize: Renowned Israeli-US violinist Itzhak Perlman on 14 December 2015 was announced as the 2016 Genesis Prize Laureate for his accomplishments as a musician, teacher and advocate for people with disabilities. Perlman will receive the award on 23 June 2016 from Israel’s Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu at a ceremony in Jerusalem.
7. Saudi Arabia launched 34-nation Islamic Military Coalition to counter terrorism: Saudi Arabia on 15 December 2015 announced the launch of Islamic Military Coalition to counter terrorism. The coalition will be led by Saudi Arabia and see the participation of 34 nations.
1. Vijay Kumar won gold in the 59th National shooting championship: Vijay Kumar on 13 December 2015 won the centre fire pistol gold in the 59th National shooting championship at the Dr Karni Singh Range in Tughlakabad in New Delhi. The 15 day event began on 1 December 2015.
2. Losar, the biggest Tibetan Buddhist Festival, began in Ladakh region: Losar, the biggest Tibetan Buddhist Festival began on 12 December 2015 in Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir. The festival marks the beginning of New Year for Buddhists. 3. Construction work of TAPI Gas Pipeline started: The 1800-kilometer TAPI project is intended to deliver Caspian Sea natural from the energy-rich former Soviet republic Turkmenistan to three South Asian countries. 4. Mumbai Police Commissioner Ahmad Javed appointed as Ambassador to Saudi Arabia: Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on 11 December 2015 appointed Mumbai Police Commissioner Ahmad Javed as the Ambassador to Saudi Arabia. He is expected to take up his assignment shortly.
5. India and Japan inked three agreements for cooperation in Railway Sector: India and Japan on 12 December 2015 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on cooperation and assistance in the Mumbai – Ahmedabad High Speed Rail Project (Bullet Train project).
1. First woman is elected to Saudi local council: Saudi Arabia Salima bint Hazab al-Otaibi had become the first woman elected to public office in the conservative Islamic kingdom after winning a seat on the municipal council in Mecca in election. The election was the first in which women could vote and run as candidates, a landmark step in a country where women are barred from driving and are legally dependent on a male relative to approve almost all their major life decisions. 2. Dilip Kumar gets Padma Vibhushan, turns emotional: Legendary actor Dilip Kumar was presented with the Padma Vibhushan by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh at the thespian’s residence in suburban Bandra.The 93-year-old legend was presented a medal, a certificate and a shawl by Mr. Singh, in the presence of the actor’s wife Saira Bano.
3. Centre sets up `SETU’ to support start-up businesses: The government has established a mechanism to be known as SETU (Self—Employment and Talent Utilisation) under NITI Aayog to support all aspects of start—up businesses and other self employment activities, particularly in technology—driven areas,” he said during Question Hour. 4. Kapil Chopra to head world tourism council: Kapil Chopra, President, The Oberoi Group, has been appointed as the Chairman of World Travel & Tourism Council, India Initiative (WTTCII) for 2016, a statement from the hotel group said. The Annual General Meeting of the WTTCII was held on December 9. 5. Scientists find new species of horned dinosaur: The new species belonging to the ceratopsia family was found in the same fossil beds in China’s Xinjiang province where the robust and heavily built Hualianceratops was discovered in 2002 by the same team. The findings were published in the journal PLOS ONE.
6. Turkmenistan hosted “International Conference on Policy of Neutrality”: International scientific-practical conference “The foreign policy of Turkmenistan as a factor of security and stability in the world”, devoted to the Year of Neutrality and Peace and the20th Anniversary of Neutrality of Turkmenistan was organized by the Embassy of Turkmenistan in Ukraine together with the Diplomatic Academy of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine. 7. US English Access programme launched in Bihar: The US Consul General in Kolkata Craig Hall inaugurated the first ever English Access Microscholarship Programme (Access) programme in Bihar which is supported by the US Department of State. 8. Maharashtra constitutes a task force for setting up an IFSC in Mumbai: The Maharashtra government has constituted a task force under Union Minister of State for Finance Jayant Sinha for setting up an International Financial Service Centre (IFSC) in Mumbai. IFSC is one of the most ambitious projects of the state government.
01. Latest FDI reforms could hit Make in India: The new FDI policy announced by the government ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to the United Kingdom and the G20 summit in Turkey last month, entailed liberalising norms for 15 sectors, including defence, construction, civil aviation, FM radio, single brand retail, private banks and manufacturing. 02. Farmer’s leader Sharad Joshi passes away: Economist, agriculturist, prolific journalist and stalwart farmer leader Sharad Joshi, who founded the Shetkari Sanghatana, passed away at his residence in Pune. He was 81.
03. India, Japan ink MoU on peaceful use of nuclear energy: India and Japan on Saturday agreed to take the civil nuclear deal forward but conceded that a lot of technical discussions remain incomplete. 04. Japan keen on ‘making in India’: Japan’s new and aggressive investment plans in India will not be limited to mega infrastructure projects such as bullet trains and will cover almost the full spectrum of prominent government schemes such as “Make in India” and Swachh Bharat.
05. Indian-origin writer wins South East Asia literary award: Indian-origin writer Jamaludeen Mohamed Sali, whose books are read in universities, has been declared the winner of this year’s prestigious South East Asia Write Award, a media report said.
01. Udai Kumar to take over as MD & CEO of Metropolitan Stock Exchange: The Metropolitan Stock Exchange (formerly MCX Stock Exchange) is set to appoint its interim Managing Director and CEO Udai Kumar as MD & CEO.
02. Myanmar inaugurated Yangon Stock Exchange: Myanmar inaugurated a new stock exchange with plans for six companies to start trading in March next year.The Yangon Stock Exchange will initially be open only to Myanmar companies and investors, Minister of Finance Win Shein said. 03. Naseeruddin Shah receives lifetime achievement award at DIFF: Veteran Bollywood actor Naseeruddin Shah was honoured with the lifetime achievement award at the Dubai International Film Festival (DIFF).
04. India, South Korea ink MoU: The Union Government has announced that it has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Republic of Korea in an effort to enhance the two countries’ existing air service cooperation. The new agreement will see Korean carriers getting access to more airports, additional capacity entitlements for both countries, and the ability to use each other as stop-overs to fly further like to the U.S. 05. Japan to fund 81 per cent cost of Mumbai- Ahmedabad rail project: Japan has offered a loan amounting to 81 per cent of the cost of the USD 15 billion Mumbai-Ahmedabad high-speed rail project, Rajya Sabha was informed.
01. 2016: UK-INDIA Year of Education, Research and Innovation launched: India and United Kingdom on 9 December 2015 launched a joint initiative 2016: UK-INDIA Year of Education and Research in New Delhi. It was launched by visiting Secretary of State, Business Innovation and Skill of the UK Sajid Javid along with Human Resource Development (HRD) minister Smriti Irani. 02. Wipro steps up investment in UK: Wipro Digital, the digital business unit of Bengaluru-based Wipro Ltd. on Wednesday announced the opening of its new London pod, furthering its commitment to offer enhanced digital transformation services at close proximity to its U.K. and European customers.
03. Bangladesh lifts ban on Facebook: Bangladesh lifted the ban on Facebook, three-weeks after it blocked the popular social networking site following Supreme Court ruling upholding death penalty of two opposition leaders convicted for war-crimes committed during 1971 independence war against Pakistan. 04. IMF changes rule on debt as Ukraine faces Russia deadline: The International Monetary Fund changed a rule that would have blocked its financial aid program to Ukraine in the event the country defaulted on debt owed to Russia. The move -- which drew an angry response from Moscow -- comes as cash-short Ukraine faces a looming year-end deadline to repay Russia for a USD 3 billion loan. 05. Tech Mahindra conferred with “Forbes Top 100 Middle East” Award: Tech Mahindra, a specialist in digital transformation, consulting and business re-engineering solutions has been awarded the prestigious “Forbes Top 100 Middle East – Global Meets Local 2015” Award. The award was presented at a special event hosted by Forbes Middle East in Dubai. 06. President of India presented Shilp Guru and National Awards: President of India, Shri Pranab Mukherjee presented the awards to Shilp Gurus and National Awardees at a function at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi.
1. 21 Shilp Gurus have been selected for the years 2012, 2013 & 2014, out of whom 18 are male and 3 are female.
2. 59 craftspersons have been selected for the National Awards for the year 2012, 2013, & 2014.
1. CCEA approves measures to increase production of pulses: The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA), chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has given its approval for creation of buffer stock of pulses. It has approved procurement of about 50,000 ton pulses from the kharif crop 2015-16 and one lakh ton out of arrivals of rabi crop of 2015-16. 2. Cabinet nod for Rs.4,000-crore package for ship builders: The Union Cabinet cleared a Rs.4,000-crore package to spur India’s ship building industry, combined with a slew of incentives which include the right of first refusal on all government purchases for Indian shipyards, tax incentives and the ‘infrastructure’ status for shipbuilding and ship repair industry that would help them tap easier financing. 3. India to open up Ahmedabad, Jaipur airports for Singapore’s Changi: Airports Authority of India (AAI) Chairman R.K. Srivastava said the modalities with regard to Changi taking over the operation of Ahmedabad and Jaipur airports are being worked out. 4. Sustained co-operation needed for cleaning Ganga: Union Water Resources Minister Uma Bharti today called for sustained co-operation from the Human Resource Development Ministry for ensuring successful implementation of the 'Namami Gange' programme, by intervening in areas like rural sanitation and adult education on environment. 5. 2 Indians bag Queen's Young Leaders Award in UK for highlighting universal access to education: Two Indians, Kartik Sawhney and Neha Swain, have won the 2016 Queen's Young Leaders award in the United Kingdom which will be presented by the British monarch in Buckingham Palace in June 2016. Sawhney and Swain have won the prestigious award for their exceptional work in transforming the lives of others and making a lasting difference in their communities.
6. Mahela Jayawardene awarded honorary lifetime membership of MCC: Former Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayawardene on 9 December 2015 was awarded with an honorary life membership of the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC). MCC awarded the honorary life membership of the club to recognise Jayawardene's stellar career in which he played 149 Test matches and scored 11814 runs at an average of 49.84.
7. IISc Bangalore bagged solar panel research and development contract from US Military: The prestigious Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore bagged a US military contract for research and development on solar powered micro-grid. It is one of the rare instances that an Indian scientific institute has been awarded a federal contract by the US military.
1. Compete with cooperative spirit: Smriti Irani on launch of Kala Utsav: HRD Minister Smriti Irani launched Kala Utsav, a four-day event, organised by the Ministry of Human Resource Development to promote Indian culture among school students started at Bal Bhavan, New Delhi.
2. In a first, Maharashtra MLAs can raise questions online: Maharashtra has become country’s first state to allow the members of state legislature to raise online questions in an effort to move towards complete digitization of the process. The step is aimed at bringing the paper work to minimum. 3. Beijing issues first ever 'red alert' on air pollution: China's capital issued its first ever "red alert" for pollution, the Beijing city government said, warning that the city would be shrouded in heavy smog. 4. India grabs the second place in ICC Test Championship: India moved into the second place of the ICC Test Championship table after completing a 3-0 drubbing of South Africa in the four-Test series, which concluded with the fourth match in New Delhi. 5. Former FIFA referee Bhattacharya passes away: FA referee S K Bhattacharya passed away in Chandanpur, West Bengal following a brief illness. He was 87 years. One of India's most reputed referee in the 1960's and 1970's, Bhattacharya held the distinction of supervising the Asia Cup finals in the 1972 in Tehran. 6. Latvia’s Prime Minister Laimdota Straujuma resigned: Latvia’s Prime Minister Laimdota Straujuma announced resignation after less than two yearsin office, saying there was a need for “new ideas” following serious infighting within her centre-right party.
7. INS Sindhudhwaj bags award for innovation from PM Narendra Modi: INS Sindhudhwaj, a submarine of the Eastern Naval Command (ENC), has been awarded 'The Best Innovation Trophy' by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
01. Railway Minister Flags Off First Double-Decker Goa-Mumbai Shatabdi Train: Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu on Sunday flagged off the inaugural service of the Goa-Mumbai double-decker air-conditioned Shatabdi train, which will run thrice a week between Goa's Madgaon railway station and the Lokmanya Tilak Terminus (LTT) in Mumbai. 02. Mauritius regains top slot as source of FDI in India: Mauritius has regained the position as top source of foreign direct investment (FDI) into India by pushing Singapore to the second slot in 2014-15. 03. Rs 125 coin to mark Bhim Rao Ambedkar’s 125th birth anniversary: The government is likely to come out with a "coin of Rs 125" to commemorate the birth anniversary of Bhim Rao Ambedkar. The idea of a coin with an unusual value is to pay tribute to the architect of the Constitution and radical social reformer on his 125th birth anniversary.
04. General Motors India appoints Kaher Kazem as Chief Operating Officer: General Motors India has appointed Kaher Kazem, its Chief Operating Officer (COO) as President and Managing Director of the company effective January 1, 2016. He will succeed Arvind Saxena, who will retire from the company by the end of this month. Mr. Saxena has leading General Motors India since early 2014. 05. NRDC enters into pact with CSIR-IICT: The National Research Development Corporation (NRDC) has entered into a memorandum of agreement with CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Technology, Hyderabad for marketing the latter’s inventions/innovations, patents, formulations, know-how/processes and also collection of premia and royalties. 06. Cochin Shipyard launches fast patrol vessels for Coast Guard: The public sector Cochin Shipyard Ltd has launched the nineteenth of the 20 Fast Patrol Vessels being built for Indian Coast Guard. The vessel was named “ICGS Atulya” and launched by Hema Subramaniam, wife of Commodore K. Subramaniam, Chairman & Managing Director, CSL.
07. Hockey World League Final: Australia Beat Belgium to Lift Title: World champions Australia stamped their authority and defeated Belgium 2-1 to clinch the title of the second edition of Hockey World League (HWL) Final at the Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel Stadium here on Sunday.
01. China's 1st manned electric aircraft gets license for production: China's first manned electric aircraft, a two seater plane powered by rechargeable lithium batteries, has been granted a license for production. The RX1E is designed by Shenyang Aerospace University and Liaoning General Aviation Academy in northeastern Liaoning province, reports. One 90-minute charge equals around 45-60 minutes of flight time. The plane has a 47-foot wingspan. It can fly at an altitude of 9,800 feet and reach a maximum speed of 100 miles per hour.
02. India's forest, tree cover increases by 5,081 sq km report: India's forest and tree cover has increased by 5,081 sq km, with the total forest cover going up by 3,775 sq m and tree cover by 1,306 sq km, according to the India State of Forest Report (ISFR) 2015 released. The ISFR is published by the Forest Survey of India (FSI), which has been assessing the forest and tree resources of the country on a biennial basis since 1987.
03. Australia Passes Anti-Terrorism Law to Strip Citizenship: Australia's parliament has passed legislation to strip dual nationals of their citizenship if they are convicted of terrorism offences or found to have fought with banned groups overseas, despite concerns about deporting jihadists. 04. Delhi assembly passes Jan Lokpal Bill: Delhi assembly passed the Janlokpal Bill, incorporating suggestions of Anna Hazare, which provides for an ombudsman with powers to act against any government functionary including those of the Centre even as chief ministerArvind Kejriwal warned the NDA dispensation against any move to put a spanner on making it a law. 05. CEA-led committee suggests GST rate of 17-18 per cent: A key government committee has suggested a standard goods and services tax (GST) rate of 17-18%, increasing chances of a consensus on the key reform so that the constitutional amendment that it entails can get passed in the current winter session as the clock ticks down to the April 1 deadline.
1. Centre to support rural entrepreneurs under MUDRA: In an effort to support rural entrepreneurs of India, the Centre said it would think of giving loans under the Micro Units Development and Refinance Agency (MUDRA) Yojana of the Prime Minister Narendra Modi. 2. 44th Navy Day observed on 4 December: The 44th Navy day celebration in the country will be observed on December 4. This annual celebration marks the achievements and role of the naval force towards the country. 3. Uttar Pradesh launches International Festival on Birds: In order to promote the array of bird species in Uttar Pradesh, the state government has launched its first International Festival on Birds. The northern state has been famous for hosting many indigenous and exotic migrant birds. Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister, Akhilesh Yadav inaugurated the festival at the National Chambal Sanctuary.
4. International Volunteer Day observed globally: The International Volunteer Day (IVD) was on 5 December 2015 observed across the world with the theme ”The world is changing. Are you? Volunteer!”. 5. Delhi Assembly passed MLAs of NCT of Delhi (Salaries, Allowances, Pension, etc) (Amendment) Bill, 2015:The Bill is based on the recommendations of three-member PDT Achary panel. It will allow the basic salaries of MLAs to go up from 12000 rupees to 50000 rupees. The bill proposes to hike in constituency allowance from current 18000 to 50000 rupees. The bill also provides for a reimbursable sum of 70000 rupees per month as allowance under 'Secretarial, Research and Office Assistance' which is 30000 rupees at present. The legislators will be entitled to a communication allowance of 10000 rupees per month as well as 30000 rupees as monthly conveyance allowance for each MLA. MLAs overall monthly package will be over 2 lakh rupees as against the existing 88000 rupees. 6. Andhra Pradesh CM Chandrababu Naidu launches 'She Autos' scheme: Encouraging women to take up driving as profession, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu launched 'She Autos' scheme and distributed 49 CNG-fuelled autos to women drivers at a function. The beneficiaries will have pay Rs 4,500 per month for a period of 18 months and the remaining amount would be borne by Women's Welfare Department as a subsidy, an official release said.
7. Delhi Government launched Mobile app to rescue homeless people: The Delhi government has launched a mobile-based application to rescue homeless people during winters. 23 rescue teams have been formed by Delhi Urban Shelter Improvement Board (DUSIB). After the download of app users can initiate a rescue operation over the phone by taking a picture of the people and posting it on the app. The DUSIB server will then automatically detect the location of the person and the nearest rescue team will be informed and sent to the location. The user of the app can also inform the nearest shelter through a list of shelters provided in the app.
01. ICBC to become Tata Group’s strategic banking partner: Tata Sons and Industrial & Commercial Bank of China Ltd (ICBC) have formed a long-term partnership, under which ICBC will become a strategic banking partner to the Tata group.
02. YouTube opens first video production studio in India: Stepping up its India focus, YouTube along with Subhash Ghai-owned film school Whistling Woods International, has opened its first video production studio in the country.
03. GAIL, ISRO launch satellite-based portal to monitor pipelines: GAIL (India) Limited in collaboration with National Remote Sensing Centre, a unit of Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), has launched a surveillance geo-portal – ‘Bhuvan-GAIL Portal’ – that utilises space technology for its pipeline safety application. 04. Himachal becomes first State to launch Rotavirus vaccination project: Himachal Pradesh has become the first state in the country to start Rotavirus vaccination project. Chief Minister Shri Virbhadra Singh today launched this project from Dharamsala in district Kangra by administering the Rotavirus drops to the children aged under five years. The vaccine will help in controlling the deaths amongst small children due to Diarrhea. 05. First India International Science Festival began at IIT-Delhi: A five-day science festival kick-started at the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi (IIT-D) on Friday with a mega ‘Science Technology and Industrial Expo’ showcasing projects by students, experts and entrepreneurs.
1. Axis Bank launches country's first 'display variant' debit card: Country's third largest private sector lender Axis Bank today said it has launched a 'display variant' debit card which does away with the hassles of generating one time password (OTP) over SMS while transacting. The card, which is being made available for high-value NRE customers, has an embedded EMV chip, a display screen and a touch-sensitive button which helps generating the OTP on the card itself. 2. Industrialist MAM Ramaswamy passes away: Veteran industrialist, former parliamentarian and the last King of Chettinad, MAM Ramaswamy died on Wednesday evening at Chennai’s Fortis Malar Hospital. He was ailing for a while and on treatment at the hospital from November 7. He was 84.
3. Vijay Kumar Choudhary elected as Bihar Assembly Speaker: Vijay Kumar Choudhary was elected unanimously as all political parties supported him for the post of new Speaker in the 16th State Legislative Assembly.
4. Union Government approved setting up of 6 new IITs: The Union Cabinet approved the setting up of six new Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) in Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Goa, Jammu, Kerala and Karnataka. The total cost for running these IITs would be 1,411.80 crore and will be incurred between 2015-16 and 2018-19. Of the six, IITs at Palakkad (Kerala) and Tirupati (Andhra Pradesh) have already started classes this year. The remaining are proposed to come up in Goa, J&K, Chattisgarh and Karnataka. The 16 exisiting IITs admit a total of 10,000 students at the undergraduate level. With the six new institutions, the intake will go up by another 1080 seats. 5. Indian American Dr Vijay M Rao Named As Chairperson Of RSNA: Indian-American Dr Vijay M Rao was named as the chairperson of the prestigious Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) Board of Directors on 2 December 2015. 6. Brazil entered longest recession since 1930s: Brazil’s official dip into recession, confirmed with new figures showing the economy contracted by 1.9 percent in the second quarter, caps off a particularly tough week in a gloomy year for the country. 7. Justice T.S.Thakur sworn in as 43rd CJI: Justice Tirath Singh Thakur was sworn in as 43rd Chief Justice of India by President Pranab Mukherjee at an elegant function in Rashtrapati Bhavan.
01. RBI keeps rates unchanged: The Reserve Bank of India (RBI), kept the short-term policy rate (repo) unchanged at 7.50 per cent. With the banks not transmitting to customers its earlier unscheduled 50 basis points cut in twin-doses, the Reserve Bank has now decided to await ‘more convincing data’ on inflationary pressures. 02. China hosts 1st BRICS media summit: China has taken the initiative for creating an alternative media platform for the emerging economies by hosting the first media summit of countries belonging to the Brazil-Russia-India-China-South Africa (BRICS) grouping.
03. Union Government launched GIAN Scheme to boost higher education: Global Initiative of Academic Networks (GIAN) scheme to boost the quality of the country’s higher education through international collaboration launched at the Indian Institute of Technology-Gandhinagar by HRD Minister SmritiIrani, and was started at IIT Kharagpur in the presence of R. Subrahmanyam (additional secretary for technical education), is inter-connected with the ‘Make in India’ campaign and the IMPRINT programme.
04. India launches International Solar Alliance: India launched an International Solar Alliance (ISA) at the CoP21 Climate Conference here, with an announcement by Prime Minister Modi that the revolution in the field would bring power to all citizens, and create unlimited economic opportunity. 05. India’s wins gold in World Body Building Championship: Thakur Anoop Singh Anoop won the gold medal in the recently held world bodybuilding meet in Bangkok.
1. World AIDS Day:World Health Organization (WHO) had designated 1st December as World AIDS Day in 1987. Since then it is observed annually and is one of the eight official global public health campaigns marked by the WHO. 2. Lewandowski honoured by Guinness: Bayern Munich striker Robert Lewandowski was officially honoured by the Guinness Book of Records after his stunning five-goal haul in a single Bundesliga match sent four records tumbling. Lewandowski needed just eight minutes, 59 seconds to score five goals after coming off the bench in the second-half of Bayern's 5-1 drubbing of Wolfsburg in Munich on September 22 for the German league leader.
3. Russian legendary film Director Eldar Ryazanov passes away: Russian legendary film Director and screenwriter Eldar Ryazanov passed away in Moscow, Russia. He was 88. He was one of Russia’s best-loved Soviet-era film directors and an icon of popular USSR culture of tragi-comedies that satirised daily life in the erstwhile Soviet Union. 4. Kumble steps down as chief mentor of Mumbai Indians: Anil Kumble has stepped down as the chief mentor of Mumbai Indians with immediate effect. “Mumbai Indians is grateful to Anil Kumble, India’s highest wicket taker in both Tests and one days for his contribution in strengthening the Mumbai Indians Franchisee.
5. President presents APJ Abdul Kalam Ignite Awards to students: Presenting the APJ Abdul Kalam Ignite Awards 2015 at the Indian Institute of Management - Ahmedabad (IIM-A), President Pranab Mukherjee lauded the innovative thinking school students exhibited through their works. 6. NMPT holds trade meet in Mysore: New Mangalore Port Trust (NMPT), in association with Mysore Chamber of Commerce and Industry and Nanjangud Industries Association, organized a trade meet in Mysore recently. The purpose of the meet was to interact with importers and exporters of Karnataka, especially from the Mysore-Nanjangud region, where a large volume of container cargo is generated. 7. Hinduja Brothers received lifetime achievement award at Asian Business Leadership Forum 2015: Hinduja Brothers on 29 November 2015 were honoured with the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award at the annual Asian Business Leadership Forum (ABLF) Series in Dubai. The prestigious award recognizes the most powerful and influential business leaders.
THANKS: BFIT.COM CHENNAI --
G.K. FROM B-FIT.COM WEBSITE
Reviewed by sambasivan srinivasan