OBJECTIVE CURRENT AFFAIRS--R J 1 to 40
answers are given in bold letters.
OBJECTIVE CURRENT AFFAIRS
1. Which of the following agreements was/were signed between India and Saudi Arabia on April 3, 2016 after talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Saudi King Salman Bin Abdulaziz in Riyadh?
a) enhance cooperation in counter-terrorism operations
b) intelligence sharing and capacity building to strengthen cooperation in law enforcement
c) anti-money laundering, drug trafficking and other transnational crimes d) All of the above
2. Prime Minister Narendra Modi on April 5, 2016 launched the Stand Up India Scheme, under which 125,000 bank branches would provide loans to scheduled castes/tribes and women entrepreneurs between Rs. 10 lakh to
a) Rs. 25 lakh b) Rs. 1 crore c) Rs. 50 lakh d) Rs. 75 lakh
3. A nation wide movement towards Social Harmony was held from April 14 to April 16, 2016, featuring
a) vow to strengthen social harmony by villagers
b) introduction on Babasaheb Ambedkar’s life and views on national integration
c) awareness about the schemes ensuring social harmony d) All of the above
4. The Ministry of Water Resources on April 12, 2016 signed an agreement with the German International Cooperation (GIZ) of Germany to help cleaning the Ganga. The ‘Namami Ganga’ programme entails an expenditure of
a) Rs. 30,000 crore b) Rs. 26,000 crore c) Rs. 32,000 crore d) Rs. 28,000 crore
5. Which of the following decisions was/were taken at the Union Cabinet meeting on March 23, 2016 chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi?
a) Dearness Allowance hiked by 6 per cent; to benefit 1 crore employees, pensioners
b) Scheme to build 2.95 crore affordable houses in rural areas
c) US $ 1.5 billion project of World Bank Support to Swachh Bharat Mission (Gramin)
d) All of the above
6. According to a report from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) released in April 2016, Indian spent how much amount on defence in 2015?
a) $ 51.3 billion b) $ 53.6 billion c) $ 52.7 billion d) $ 54.6 billion
7. Which of the following mobile apps has/have been launched by the Central Government for farmers, which can be downloaded from mkissan. Gov. in as well as from Google Play Store?
a) Kisan Suvidha and Pusa Krishi b) Agri Market c) Fasal Bima d) All of the above
8. Iran President Hassan Rouhani on April 17, 2016 assured External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj that his country could be a reliable partner for India’s energy needs. India imports how many barrels oil per day from Iran at present?
a) 3,00,000 b) 3,50,000 c) 2,75,000 d) 3,25,000
9. Who among the following was on April 5, 2016 selected by the Union Human Resources Development Minister Smriti Irani for the post of Chairman of the National Council of Rural Institutes?
a) K Sudhakar b) Loknanda Reddy c) Dr. Prasannakumar G d) Podile Appa Rao
10. Delhi Finance Minister and Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia, while presenting the budget for 2016-17 on March 28, 2016 gave top billing to education setting aside a sum of
a) Rs. 12,712 crore b) Rs. 10,690 crore c) Rs. 11,169 crore d) Rs. 10,340 crore
11. Which of the following State Governments on April 7, 2016 approved the launch of Dr. BR Ambedkar Scholarship Scheme for meritorious students of Class X and XII of Government schools?
a) Uttar Pradesh b) Punjab c) Rajasthan d) Maharashtra
12. Prime Minister Narendra Modi on April 14, 2016 launched the e-National agricultural Market platform, an online system that would connect 21 food markets in the States of :
a) Gujarat, Telangana and Jharkhand b) Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh
c) Rajasthan, Haryana and Himachal Pradesh d) All of the above
13. Peoples Democratic Party President Mehbooba Mufti became the first woman Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir on April 4, 2016. She is the only second Muslim to head a state after Syeda Anwara Taimur of Congress who in 1980 became Chief Minister of the State of
a) Andhra Pradesh b) West Bengal c) Assam d) Uttar Pradesh
14. Telangana Finance Minister Etela Rajender on March 14, 2016 presented the Budget for 2016-17 with an outlay of nearly Rs. 1.30 lakh crore with a plan expenditure of
a) Rs. 67,630 crore b) Rs. 62,785 crore c) Rs. 66,780 crore d) Rs. 68,640 crore
15. Maharashtra Finance Minister Sudhir Mungantiwar on March 18, 2016 presented the State budget for 2016-17 with a Rs. 25,000 crore allocation for the agriculture sector. According to the budget estimate revenue mobilization would be
a) Rs. 2,20,810 crore b) Rs. 2,24,454 crore c) Rs. 2,22,542 crore d) Rs. 2,26,812 crore
16. According to the Public Affairs Index of governance in States, released by the Bengaluru based Public Affairs Centre in March 2016, Kerala and Tamil Nadu have occupied the first and the second rank respectively among big States. Which of the following States has been ranked among small States?
a) Himachal Pradesh b) Mizoram c) Goa d) Sikkim
17. Which of the following statements is/are correct about the 6th Economic Census data, released by the Delhi Government on March 14, 2016?
a) The total number of business establishments in Delhi grew by 1.94% as compared to 2005 data
b) Women run 70,434 of the total 8.75 lakh businesses in Delhi
c) Women constitute 12.5% of the workforce in Delhi’s businesses d) All of the above
18. Haryana Finance Minister Captain Abhimanyu presented the state budget for 2016-17 on March 21, 2016 with budget size of
a) Rs. 88,781.96 crore b) Rs. 87,786.93 crore c) Rs. 88,618.86 crore d) Rs. 88,568.54 crore
19. Maharashtra Revenue and Agriculture Minister Eknath Khadse on March 24, 2016 declared drought in 12,000 villages across Vidarbha. Of the total 12,000 villages, nearly 5900 come under
a) Bhandara division b) Gad chiroli division c) Amravati division d) Yavatmal and Nagpur divisions
20. Delhi Deputy chief Minister and Finance Minister Manish Sisodia on March 28, 2016 presented a Rs. 46,600 crore annual budget for 2016-17, pegging the plan outlay at
a) Rs. 21,000 crore b) Rs. 20,600 crore c) Rs. 24,000 crore d) Rs. 21,700 crore
21. The United States agreed in April 2016 to supply Pakistan nine AH-IZ Viper twin engine attack helicopters despite opposition to the deal from India. The key features of this helicopter includes:
a) The only attack helicopter in the world with a fully integrated air-to-air missile capability
b) Third generation target sight system for longest range and highest accuracy in day or night
c) Fully integrated, night vision goggle compatible “glass” cockpit d) All of the above
22. According to an Amnesty International report released in April 2016, about 1,634 executions took place in 2015 globally, the highest recorded by Amnesty in 25 years, as against 1,061 in 2014. Which of the following countries is not included among top five countries on the list?
a) Iran b) Syria c) Pakistan d) Saudi Arabia
23. According to a report from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) released in April 2016 the world spent $ 1,676 billion on military 2015. Which of the following countries is placed on the second spot after the United States in terms of defence expenditure in 2015?
a) United Kingdom b) Russia c) China d) Saudi Arabia
24. Who among the following was elected the new Prime Minister of Vietnam on April 7, 2016?
a) Nguyen Xuan Phuc b) Nguyen Tan Dung c) Nguyen Hypo Voral d) Nguyen Wang Touei
25. The New Development Bank, formed by the BRICS nations, on April 16, 2016 approved its first loans - $ 811 million for renewable energy projects in Brazil, China, India and South Africa. Out of this loan, India’s share is
a) $ 300 million b) $ 250 million c) $ 280 million d) $ 180 million
26. According to the data released on April 6, 2016 the Government collected Rs. 14.6 lakh crore in taxes in financial year 2015-16 which is higher than the Budget Estimates and review Estimates for the year. The indirect tax collection in the financial year 2015 – 16 stood at:
a) Rs. 7.52 lakh crore b) Rs. 7.11 lakh crore c) Rs. 7.48 lakh crore d) Rs. 7.29 lakh crore
27. According to the World Trade Organisation forecast on April 7, 2016 world trade growth would come to 2.8 percent in 2016 and it would rise in 2017 to
a) 3.6 per cent b) 3.4 per cent c) 3.9 per cent d) 3.8 per cent
28. According to a report by the World Bank titled ‘South Asia Economic Focus’ released on April 11, 2016, South Asia remains the world’s fastest growing region despite turbulence elsewhere. As per the biannual report the Indian economy is expected to accelerate from 7.5 per cent in 2016 to _____ in 2017.
a) 7.6 per cent b) 7.8 per cent c) 7.7 per cent d) 7.9 per cent
29. Prime Minister Narendra Modi on April 14, 2016 launched e NAM, a pan-India trading portal, National Agriculture Market (NAM) to create a unified national market for agricultural commodities. The salient features of this portal is/are:
a) Farmers can showcase their produce online from their nearest market and traders can quote price from anywhere
b) Ensure open price discovery and better returns to farmers
c) 585 markets across the country will be covered d) All of the above
30. According to the data released by the Reserve Bank of India on April 15, 2016 deposit growth in the country’s banking system slowed to a 50 year low of 9.7 percent in the firscal 2015-16 while in the fiscal 2014-15 it was
a) 12.1 per cent b) 13.2 per cent c) 10.8 per cent d) 11.9 per cent
31. Which of the following facts was/were highlighted by the Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi at the Advancing Asian Conference, organized by India and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in New Delhi on March 12, 2016?
a) India’s growth rate of over seven per cent was being achieved in a country that is also a vibrant democracy
b) India added to the world and Asian demand by running current account deficits
c) India had never tried to gain in trade at the epense of partners, as it never undervalued its exchange rate
d) All of the above
32. Indian firms raised Rs. 48,952 crore through the equity market route in the fiscal 2015-16 ending on March 31, 2016 according to a report by Prime Database while it was in the last fiscal at
a) Rs. 58,801 crore b) Rs. 56,782 crore c) Rs. 56,876 crore d) Rs. 59,242 crore
33. The Government of India garnered how much amount in 2015-16 from the buyback of shares from Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) and Bharat Dynamics Limited ?
a) Rs. 4,600 crore b) Rs. 4,300 crore c) Rs. 4,500 crore d) Rs. 4,900 crore
34. Which of the following public sector banks would receive the loans from New Development Bank of BRICS countries, approved on April 16, 2016?
a) Punjab National Bank b) Canara Bank c) Bank of Baroda d) State Bank of India
35. According to the data released by the Department of Industrial policy and Promotion on April 17, 2016, the foreign direct investment into India in 2015 increased by 37 per cent to
a) $ 39.32 billion b) $ 37.68 billion c) $ 38.63 billion d) $39.72 billion
36. The Reserve Bank of India Governor Raghuram Rajan on April 5, 2016 announced the first bi-monthly Monetary Policy Statement for 2016-17, which envisaged some policy actions including
a) Repo rate cut by 0.25 percentage point to 6.50 per cent
b) Reverse repo rate hiked by 0.25 percentage point to 6 per cent
c) Minimum daily cash maintenance by banks with Reserve Bank of India cut by 5 per cent
d) All of the above
37. The Union Cabinet on April 6, 2016 approved the fiscal deficit threshold limit of ______ per cent of Gross State Domestic Product (GSDP) for the States for four years starting 2016-17.
a) 3.0 b) 3.5 c) 3.2 d) 3.7
38. The Reserve Bank of India on April 7, 2016 said that some State-Level Public Enterprises (SLPEs) should be restructured before divestment or a transfer of ownership to private entities. How many SLPEs are operating in India?
a) 849 b) 876 c) 823 d) 857
39. Blackstone Group on April 4, 2016 agreed to buy out Hewlett Packard Enterprise’s majority shareholding in Bengaluru-based IT services provider Mphasis Ltd. In a deal worth upto
a) Rs. 7,242 crore b) Rs. 7,286 crore c) Rs. 7,071 crore d) Rs. 7,164 crore
40. Which of the following measures were proposed by the Reserve Bank of India Governor Raghuram Rajan on April 5, 2016 for non-banking financial sector, financial inclusion and payment and settlement while announcing the first bimonthly Monetary Policy Statement for 2016-17?
a) Simplification of process of registration of new non-banking financial companies
b) To publish Vision 2018 for the payment and settlement system by end April 2016
c) Will continue to focus on migrating to a “less-cash” and more digital society
d) All of the above
OBJECTIVE CURRENT AFFAIRS--R J 1 to 40 Reviewed by sambasivan srinivasan on 9:33:00 AM Rating: