Current Affairs 19 October 2016 | General Awareness for SBI IBPS UPSC SSC Exams
India used BRICS Summit to evade Pakistan
- India has “evaded” Pakistan by effectively branding it as a “regional outcast” during Goa BRICS-BIMSTEC summit where the country presented itself as a “bright spot”, strengthening its case.
- India’s inclusion of BIMSTEC (The Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation) bore even thicker geo-strategic connotations.”
INS Arihant, Indian Navy’s first indigenously-made nuclear submarine, commissioned quietly
- India's first indigenously made nuclear submarine, the INS Arihant has been commissioned into service.
- INS Arihant is a 6,000-tonne submarine that is capable of launching nuclear weapons from underwater.
- The submarine is propelled by an 83 MW pressurised light-water reactor at its core.
U.S. stands in solidarity with India on cross-LoC strikes
- U.S. Ambassador Richard Verma said, adding that Washington has drastically cut assistance to Pakistan in the past five years over concerns on terror.
- India launched strikes on ‘terror launch pads’ along the LoC after the terror attack on an Army camp in Uri, in which 19 Indian soldiers were killed.
Modi compares Army’s action along LoC to Israeli exploits
- PM Modi has compared The Army to Israeli Militants for its recent surgical strikes along the Line of Control in Kashmir and said the action had won it worldwide accolades.
- He was addressing a party rally here after inaugurating three major hydel projects.
- Mr. Modi liked the surgical strikes to Israel’s exploits and said the Indian forces had shown they were no less than anybody.
Scientists launch unprecedented Antarctic research mission
- More than 50 researchers from 30 countries are to carry out the first scientific full circumnavigation of Antarctica in an attempt to measure pollution and climate change.
- The international team will cruise on Russian research vessel Akademik Treshnikov, leaving Cape Town on 20 Dec 16.
- Returning on March 18 next year, braving hostile conditions in an effort to gain a deeper understanding of humankind's effect on the Southern Ocean.
Nine IG-rank IPS officers appointed in BSF
- Nine IPS officers have been appointed as Inspectors General (IsG) in one go in the country's largest border guarding force BSF by the government.
- Officials attributed the bulk first-ever posting of IG- rank officers in the Border Security Force to the long pending vacancies in this category.
- Similarly, under the same order, five IsG have been appointed in the Central Reserve Police Force.
The post Current Affairs 19 October 2016 | General Awareness for SBI IBPS UPSC SSC Exams appeared first on Exambin | Social Competitive Learning.
Current Affairs 19 October 2016 | General Awareness for SBI IBPS UPSC SSC Exams Reviewed by Manohar Veera on 6:44:00 PM Rating: