Current Affairs 22 October 2016 | General Awareness for SBI IBPS UPSC SSC Exams 12:09 PM tags
21st October (Police Commemoration Day)
- Police Commemoration Day in India is observed on October 21.
- It honors the memory of Indian police personnel killed by Chinese soldiers in 1959.
- On 21 Oct 1959, a group of Indian policemen led by Shri Karam Singh was attacked by the Chinese Army at Hot Springs in North Eastern Ladakh.
- The remembrance day was officially instituted in 1960 & has been observed at the national level since 2012.
VICE PRESIDENT HAMID ANSARI MADE VISIT TO HUNGARY AND ALGERIA
- Hamid Ansari raised the m
- atter of cross border terrorism and a host of bilateral issues.
- India and Hungary signed two MoU’s including water management.
- India is keen to join hands with Algeria to explore the possibility of setting up a multi-billion dollar fertilizer project.
PAKISTAN ENFORCE COMPLETE BAN ON INDIAN TV, RADIO CONTENTS
- Pakistan’s media regulatory authority has decided to enforce a complete ban on Indian TV and radio contents from 21 Oct 16.
- The licenses of those found guilty of violating the ban will be suspended.
- It also decided to cancel the one sided rights that were given to Indian media in 2006 by government of former military dictator Pervez Musharraf.
MILAN CITY CONFERS HONORARY CITIZENSHIP ON DALAI LAMA
- The Milan city council bestowed honorary citizenship on the Dalai Lama.
- The award ceremony held at the Arcimboldi Theatre in Milan, Italy.
- Dalai Lama received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989.
MANOHAR PARRIKAR CLEARS PURCHASE OF 145 M777 HOWITZERS WORTH RS 4,500 CRORE FROM U.S
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar cleared the proposals for acquiring ultra-light howitzers from the US on 21 oct 16.
- India will be buying the 155 mm M777 guns at a cost of about Rs 4500 crore.
- These are light howitzers which can be flown to the mountain areas and will be deployed along the mountainous lines bordering both Pakistan and China.
CGS Aryaman and Atulya Commissioned into Indian Coast Guard
- The Indian Coast Guard Ships (ICGSs) ‘Aryaman’ and ‘Atulya’ were commissioned into Indian Coast Guard in Kochi, Kerala.
- These ships are the eighteenth and nineteenth in the series of twenty Fast Patrol Vessels (FPVs) designed and built by Cochin Shipyard Limited.
INDIA RESOLVES US-2 AIRCRAFT PRICE ISSUE WITH JAPAN
- The first ever defense deal between India and Japan is back on track after two years .
- Japan has offered a 10 per cent price concession for the purchase of 12 US-2 amphibious aircraft for the Indian Navy.
- It was $133 million per aircraft, and $1.35 billion government to government deal for US-2 amphibious aircraft is now ready for finalization.
COAST GUARD SHIP COMMISSIONED
- Fast Petrol Vessel ICGS Rani Gaidinliu was commissioned into the Indian Coast Guard here on 19 oct 16 by Director-General of Coast Guard Rajendra Singh.
- The vessel is named after freedom fighter and famous Naga spiritual and political leader Rani Gaidinliu, who belonged to the Heraka cult of Manipur.
- Deputy Chief Minister of Manipur Gaikhangam Gangamei, former Deputy Chief Minister and former Union minister Thounaojam Chaoba Singh and Admi Pamei, who belongs to Rani Gaidnliu’s clan, were present.
SUNIL GAVASKAR TO RECEIVE LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
- Association of Mumbai (SJAM) will present cricket legend Sunil Manohar Gavaskar with the Lifetime Achievement award.
- It was held on 11 Dec 16 at the Cricket Club of India.
- The SJAM’s first Lifetime Achievement award was presented to badminton legend Nandu Natekar in September 2013.
2ND INTERNATIONAL GALVANIZING CONFERENCE MULLS USE OF ZINC IN ALL INDUSTRIES
- The 2nd International Galvanizing Conference was inaugurated by union steel minister Chaudhary Birender Singh in Delhi on 20 oct 16.
- It has seen participation from a cross section of zinc and alloy industries, will discuss ways of expanding the zinc market in India.
- The scope of using zinc in automobile industries, fertilizers, rebars, as a nutrient and in railway tracks.
INDIA MAY IMPOSE RIDERS ON BILATERAL AIR TRAFFIC NEGOTIATIONS WITH DUBAI
- A commitment on providing desired slots to Indian airlines at the Dubai airport.
- It is likely to become a key factor in talks to decide any increase in bilateral traffic entitlements between India and Dubai.
TIMES NETWORK UNVEILS‘MAKE IN INDIA’ AWARDS
- Times Network, part of India’s largest media conglomerate Times Group, has launched the Make In India Summit and Awards.
- It was aimed at laying out key imperatives and the framework for turning the vision of ‘Make In India’ into a reality.
- It was held on 18 Oct 16 and was attended by commerce minister Nirmala Sitharaman, textile minister Smriti Irani and steel minister Chaudhary Birender Singh.
Current Affairs 22 October 2016 | General Awareness for SBI IBPS UPSC SSC Exams 12:09 PM tags Reviewed by Manohar Veera on 10:29:00 PM Rating: