PM launches Digital India programme on 1st July 2015 -- a few points --useful for interviews and exams
PM launches Digital India programme
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 1 Jul, 2015 launched the Digital India programme, which essentially comprises various initiatives aimed at digital empowerment, improving digital infrastructure and offering on-demand governance and services.
Top 10 services launched by the govt
- DIGILocker: It will minimise the usage of physical documents and is a dedicated personal storage space for e-documents as well as Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) of e-documents issued by govt departments. Individual locker will be linked to the resident’s Aadhaar number, and enable sharing of e-documents across agencies whenever required.
- Bharat Net: This initiative will work towards building high-speed digital highways to connect all 2.5 lakh Gram Panchayats of country by next year. This would be the world’s largest rural broadband connectivity project using optical fibre.
- MyGov app: The PM also launched the mobile version of the MyGov.in website. This platform encourages citizen engagement in governance, and the app will do the same on mobile.
- eSign: An initiative to eradicate forgery and fraudulent signature, the eSign framework would allow citizens to digitally sign a document online using Aadhaar authentication.
- National Scholarships Portal: This new service is said to be a one-stop solution for end-to-end scholarship process right from submission of student application, verification, sanction and disbursal to end beneficiary for all the scholarships provided by the Govt of India.
- Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) app: To further the Swachh Bharat mission, the govt has launched this app and would be used by people and Govt organisations.
- E-education: It will provide high-tech education using technology like smartphones, apps and Internet services. It can also be used to provide education in far- flung areas where it may not be possible for teachers to be present in person. The education can be imparted through virtual means as part of the program.
- E-health: This initiative aims at providing timely, effective and economical healthcare services to all, especially to the ones that have little access to healthcare services. This service too will be linked to Aadhaar numbers, and will make getting lab reports and OPD appointments easier. The Online Registration System (ORS) under the eHospital application has also been introduced. This application provides important services such as online registration, payment of fees and appointment, online diagnostic reports, inquiring availability of blood online etc.
- Next Generation Network (NGN): This is a BSNL initiative which will replace 30-year-old exchanges with this new IP- based technology to manage all types of services like voice data, multimedia/ video and other types of communication services.
- Wi-Fi hotspots: BSNL has undertaken large scale deployment of Wi-Fi hotspots throughout the country for Internet access on smartphones while on the go. The initiative has already kicked off with the govt offering free Wi-Fi at tourist places like Taj Mahal, and spots at Shimla too.
The govt also launched the official website for the Digital India programme.
PM launches Digital India programme on 1st July 2015 -- a few points --useful for interviews and exams Reviewed by sambasivan srinivasan on 7:33:00 PM Rating: