BANKING RELATED GENERAL AWARENESS -- PART II -- 1 TO 100 --HIGHLY USEFUL FOR IBPS PO/CLERKS
1. Prime Minister Narendra Modi inauguarated India Sanitation Conference (INDOSAN) in New Delhi ahead of second anniversary of Swachh Bharat Mission.
2. Every year 1st October is observed as International day of Older Persons (IDOP). This year, the theme is “Take a Stand Against Ageism.”
3. Pakistan has officially postponed the 8-nation SAARC summit 2016, after 5 countries – India, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan and Sri Lanka dropped out of it.
4. Javelin thrower Annu Rani broke her own national record and in the process became the first Indian woman to cross the 60m mark on the third and penultimate day of the 56th Open National Athletics Championships in Lucknow.
5. Telugu author and eminent scholar Prof Kolakaluri Enoch was honoured with the 29th Moortidevi Award of Bharatiya Jnanpith for the year 2015 for his novel Ananta Jeevanam.
6. Mohit Kampani, the former managing director of Spencer’s Retail, will be joining Aditya Birla Retail (ABRL) as chief executive officer.
7. Somesh Sharma of Rashtradoot Saptahik has been elected President of The Indian Newspaper Society for the year 2016-17. He succeeds PV Chandran of Girhalakshmi (Mathrubhumi Group).
8. The Centre has appointed R Subramania Kumar as Executive Director of Indian Overseas Bank. Prior to this appointment. Kumar was Executive Director of Indian Bank.
9. According to the recent publication released by the Botanical Survey of India (BSI) on “Endemic Vascular Plants of India,” Tamil Nadu accounts for the highest number of flowering plants in the country.
10. The International Day of Non-Violence is observed on October 2, the birthday of Mahatma Gandhi.
11. India ratified the Paris Agreement on Climate Change by depositing the instrument of ratification with the United Nation, the 147th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
12. The Indian government has invited the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan to be the next Chief Guest at India’s Republic Day Parade of 2017.
13. Reliance Communications’ Chief Executive Officer Vinod Sawhny has stepped down from the post.
14. Rajeev Sharma has taken over as the Chairman and Managing Director of state-run Power Finance Corporation (PFC).
15. Sikkim’s capital Gangtok has been conferred with the title of the ``Cleanest Tourist Destination’ in India by the Ministry of Tourism.
16. Chief Minister of Arunachai Pradesh Pema Khandu has flagged off a 10-member all-women Mt.Gorichen Expedition led by Anshu Jamsempa.
17. M.S. Sahoo, a financial markets expert, has been appointed as insolvency and Bankruptcy Board Chairperson for a period of five years.
18. Bengaluru’s Kieren Dsouza has become the first Indian to complete the Spartathion, widely described as the “world’s toughest race”.
19. Indian golfer Gaganjeet Bhullar won his 6th Asian Tour title, winning the Korea Open 2016 in Incheon, South Korea.
20. Arundhati Bhattacharya will remain the chairperson of the State Bank of India (SBI) for another year.
21. The Government has decided to raise the Employees Provident Fund (EPF) investment in Exchange Traded Funds (ETF) from the present 5% to 10%.
22. Airport Authority of India’s Tirupati Airport has been awarded as “Best Tourist Friendly Airport” under the category for “State Annual Excellence Awards (2015-16)” by Andhra Pradesh Tourism.
23. World Space Week is an annual event that is observed from 4 October to 10 October every year in various parts of the world including Europe and Asia. The theme was Remote Sensing: Enabling our Future.
24. Australlian racing driver, Daniel Ricciardo has won the 2016 Malaysian Grand Prix held at the Sepang International Circuit in Selangor, Malaysia.
25. Young filmmaker Katyayan Shivpuri, from Maharashtra, has won the first prize at the Swachh Bharat Short Film Festival (SBSFF) for his work “Muruga”.
26. Japan’s Yoshinori Ohsumi, a cell biologist specializing in autophagy, has received the 2016 Noble Prize for Medicine. He has received the award “for his discoveries of mechanisms for autophagy”.
27. Shri R Ravindra, presently Ambassador of India to the Republic of Cote d’lvoire, has been concurrently accredited as the Ambassador of India to the Republic of Guinea.
28. The Delhi Police has launched a mobile application `Delhi Police Senior Citizen’ for senior citizens to enable them to reach out to the police quickly in emergency situations.
29. A 16-year-old Indian-origin South African teen has won a $50,000 Scholarship, the grand prize at the annual google Science fair for her work using orange peel to develop a cheqper “Super-absorbent material” that helps soil retain water.
30. Playback singer K J Yesudas has been roped in by the CPI (M) –led-LDF government as the brand ambassador of its ambitious project. `Haritha Keralam’.
31. Jharkhand has become the first state in the country to implement Direct Benefit Transfer in Kerosene.
32. Kersti Kaljulaid was elected as the first female President of Estonia by the parliament.
33. The RBI has reduced the policy Repo Rate under the liquidity adjustment facility (LAF) by 25 basis points from 6.5% to 6.25%. Consequently, the reverse repo rate under the LAF stands adjusted to 5.75% and the marginal standing facility (MSF) rate and the Bank Rate to 6.75%.
34. Playback singer K J Yesudas has been roped in by the Kerala government as the brand ambassador of its ambitious `Haritha Keralam’ project.
35. The State Bank of India has become the first domestic bank of India to open 54th foreign branch, in Yangon, Myanmar.
36. The Nobel Prize in Physics for 2016 has been awarded to scientists – David J Thouless, who receives half the prize, Duncan M. Haldane and J. Michael Kosterlitz, who share the other half.
37. Film-maker and elephant researcher Prajna Chowta has been appointed Chevalier de I’Ordre National du Merite (Knight in the National Order of Merit), one of the highest civilian recognitions of the French Government.
38. Malayali Sculptor artist Yusuf Arakkal passed away in Bengaluru, Karnataka, Arakkal had recently released a book called Faces of Creativity.
39. Nayanjot Lahiri, Professor of History at the Ashoka University, has been awarded the 2016 John F. Rechards Prize for her book Ashoka in Ancient India.
40. Venkaiah Naidu releases book titled “Modi’s Midas Touch in, Foreign Policy”. The book has been authored by Surendra Kumar.
41. NMDC’s Bailadila Iron one mine-Bacheli Complex has bagged FIMI Golden Jubilee Award for Excellence 2016.
42. So let’s discuss some questions related to this post:
43. The World Bank has announced that India’s GDP growth will remain strong at 7.6 percent in 2016 and 7.7 percent in 2017.
44. Cabinet approves India-EU MoU on water cooperation.
45. Cabinet approves rural development MoU with African Asian Rural Development Organisation.
46. CCEA gives a nod to the acquisition of 11% stake in Russian Oil Company.
47. The Nobel Prize in Chemistry for 2016 has been awarded to Jean-Pierre Sauvage, Sir J. Fraser Stoddart and Bernard L. Feringa for developing the molecular machine.
48. The International Monetary Fund has raised projections for India’s economic growth by 0.2 percentage points to 7.6% for 2016-17 and 2017-18.
49. The Government has appointed Indian Revenue Service Officer Sushil Chandra as the next chairman of the Central Board of Direct Taxes.
50. Powerful typhoon Chaba barreled toward japan after it hit a South Korean resort island causing flight cancellations and flooding streets.
51. Germany has appointed former Nasscom Chairman B V R Mohan Reddy as an Honourary Consul of that country in Hyderbad.
52. India’s latest communication satellite GSAT-18 has been launched successfully by a heavy duty rocket of Arianespace from the spaceport of Kourou in French Guiana.
53. India’s Aakanksha Hagawane has won the girls’ U-16 title at the World Youth Chess Championship in Russia.
54. Former Prime Minister of Portugal, Antonio Guterres is poised to become the next Secretary – General of the United Nations.
55. The International Astronautical Federation’s renowned space scientist U.R. Rao has been inducted into its Hall of fame for his contribution to development of India’s space technology.
56. Social networking site Facebook is collaborating with the Election Commission of India in five states, which are going to polls next year, to run a voter registration drive aimed at encouraging youth to participate in the democratic exercise.
57. With 12 nations and as many teams participating for one global title, the International Kabaddi Federation, kicked off the Kabaddi World Cup 2016.
58. ICICI Bank has introduced digital banking on its mobile app `Pockets’. Claiming to be the first to introduce contact-less mobile payment solution in the country.
59. President Pranab Mukherjee has inauguarated the first edition of the World Sustainable Development Summit (WSDS) organized by The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) with emphasis on the need to limit the rise of climate change.
60. Indian shooter Jitu Rai on 6th October 2016 clinched a silver medal in the 50 meter pistol event of the ISSF World Cup Final at Bologna, Italy.
61. Arjun Vajpai, a 23-year-old professional mountaineer from Noida, became the youngest in the world to scale the Mount Cho Oyu, the sixth highest mountain peak in the World at 8,188 metres (26,864 ft) above sea level.
62. Railways Minister Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu flagged off the newly manufactured `Guard Van of Goods (Freight) Train, in New Delhi. The newly manufactured `Guard Van of Goods Train’ is equipped with the Solar powered Light for the first time.
63. The first BRICS Under-17 football tournament has kicked off in Goa. This initiative of Government of India aims at taking the ongoing interaction and cohesion amongst the BRICS nations.
64. Freedom fighter and veteran congress leader Ramesh Kulkarni passed away after a brief illness in Thane.
65. The Government has integrated 250 mandis in 10 states with the electronic national agriculture market (e-NAM) in the first phase.
66. Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to end the 52-year conflict with left-wing rebels.
67. Freedom fighter and Congress leader Ramesh Kulkarni has passed away in Thane following a brief illness.
68. India will host the Asian Ministerial Conference for Disaster Risk Reduction (AMCDRR) from 3 November to 5 November 2016.
69. The Air Force Day 2016 is observed annually on 8 October across India.
70. The Union Ministry of Urban Development has approved projects worth Rs.114 crore under HRIDAY scheme for improving infrastructure facilities around core heritage sites in five cities.
71. Maharashtra Government has allocated 40.68 hectare land to Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) to build LIGO (Laser Interferometer Gravitational Wave Observatory) India Project at Dudhala Village in Hingoli District.
72. Union Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan launched the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) in Maharastra on 7 October to provide free LPG connections to BPL households.
73. India’s foreign exchange reserves scaled a new high of USD 371.99 billion.
74. Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Ltd., (RINL) the corporate entity of Vizag Steel, has roped in top ranked Indian Badminton Player PV Sindhu as its brand ambassador.
75. Sprinter Srabni Nanda has bagged the 24th Ekalabya Award for the year 2016 in recognition of her sporting excellence.
76. World Post Day is celebrated each year on 9 October, the anniversary of the establishment of the Universal Postal Union in 1874 in the Swiss Capital, Bern. The theme for this year 2016 is Innovation, Integration and inclusion.
77. Union Power Minister Piyush Goyal has launched the Urban Jyoti Abhiyaan Mobile (Urja) app, developed by the state run Power Finance Corporation to enhance consumer connect with the urban power distribution sector.
78. China’s President XI Jinping appointed Luo Zhaohui, a senior diplomat with previous assignments in Pakistan and Canada, as China’s new ambassador to India.
79. The Telangana government on 8 October organized the traditional state festival of `Bathukamma’ on at the Lal Bahadur stadium in Hyderbad. The Telangana Government has declaed `Bathukamma’ as a state festival.
80. India’s Harika Dronavalli defeated World No.1 Hou Yifan of China to be at a joint fourth position on the Isle of Man International Chess tournament.
81. Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis inaugurated India’s first centre for international arbitration in Mumbai. The Mumbai centre for international Arbitration (MCIA) will initially be located at Express Towers.
82. Doordarshan, public service broadcaster and Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) have entered into an agreement for transmission of four Gyan Darshan educational channels.
83. British tennis player Andy Murray Beat Bulgaria’s Grigor Dimitrov in straight sets to win the China Open. This is Murray’s 5th Singles title of 2016 and 40th of his career.
84. India’s 19-year-old shuttler Ruthvika Shivani Gadde won the women’s singles title at the Russian Open in Viadivostok. Pranaav Jerry Chopra and N Sikki Reddy added to India’s tally by winning the mixed doubles title.
85. The Oxford English Dictionary has included “Aiyoh” and “Aiyah” in its latest edition. The word has defined as, “In Southern India and Sri Lanka, expressing distress, regret, or grief; `oh dearl”.
86. Five Indian-Americans figure among America’s 400 richest people, in a list again headed by Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, according to the survey by Forbes magazine.
87. International Day of the Girl Child is observed annually on 11 October. The theme for this year international Day of the Girl is “Girls’ Progress = Goals’ Progress: What Counts for Girls”.
88. With an aim to make Madhya Pradesh anaemia-free, the state government has decided to launch a scheme – Lalima Abhiyan’ – that will be effective from November 1.
89. The international Shooting Sports Federation has awarded ace shooter, Jitu Rai, the Champion of Champions’ title for pistol shooting in 2016.
90. Nico Rosberg of Germany and Mercedes GP won the Japan Grand Prix at Suzuka Circuit.
91. Oscar-winning Film director Andrzej Wajda, best known for chronicling Poland’s struggle for democracy during half a century of communist rule, has died at the age of 90.
92. India ranked 97th out of 118 countries on the international food policy Research Institute’s (IFPRI) Global Hunger Index (GHI) in 2016.
93. Nearly two-and-half years after it came into existence as India’s 29th state, Telangana’s map was redrawn on 11th October 2016 with the creation of 21 new districts, With these, the total number of districts of the youngest state of India went up to 31.
94. Abdelilah Benkirance, leader of Morocco’s Islamic Justice and Development Party, has been appointed for another term as the country’s prime minister.
95. Ashok Leyland Limited has entered into an agreement with Telangana Government outlining plans for setting up a body building unit which will entail an outlay of Rs.500 crore.
96. India’s holdings of the US Government bonds touched a high of $123.7 billion in July, making it the 12th largest holder, US Treasury Department’s latest data showed.
97. The Russian and Turkish leaders have agreed to intensify military and intelligence contacts after a meeting in Istanbul, Turkey.
98. The world’s first Cybathlon Championship for Athletes with Disabilities organized by the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology ETH Zurich at the SWISS Arena in Kloten, canton Zurich.
99. Sir lan McKellen has been given the outstanding contribution to British theatre prize at the UK Theatre Awards.
100. Sir lan McKellen has been given the outstanding contribution to the British theatre prize at the UK Theatre Awards.
BANKING RELATED GENERAL AWARENESS -- PART II -- 1 TO 100 --HIGHLY USEFUL FOR IBPS PO/CLERKS Reviewed by sambasivan srinivasan on 6:29:00 PM Rating: