Directions. Q. 1-20: Lock at the nderlined part of each sentence. Below each sentence are given thee possible substitutions for the underlined part. If one of them is better than the underlined park, mark accordingly on the Answer Sheet. If none of the substitutions improve the sentence, mark (D) on your Answer Sheet:
1. We need honest workers, not people of redoubtable integrity.
a) doubting b) doubtful c) doubtless d) No improvement
2. I expect every player here to be conversant at the rules of game.
a) on b) about c) with d) No improvement
3. There is no alternate so we must leave now.
a) altering b) alternative c) alternation d) No improvement
4. If were you, I would do it at once.
a) was b) am c) would be d) No improvement
5. They set a strong guard, lest any one could escape.
a) would b) might c) should d) No improvement
6. The matter called up an explanation of his conduct.
a) out b) in c) for d) No improvement
7. The accused refused having murdered anybody.
a) disagreed b) denied c) declaimed d) No improvement
8. We cannot trust a man who plays false and loose with others.
a) false or loose b) fast or loose c) fast and loose d) No improvement
9. He is still in vigorous health although he is on the right side of sixty.
a) wrong b) left c) negative d) No improvement
10. Any English are known for their practical instincts.
a) Some b) Many c) The d) No improvement
11. Fifty miles are a long distance to walk.
a) is b) become c) be d) No improvement
12. Economics today were not what it was a century ago.
a) are b) was c) is d) No improvement
13. Hearing the news of the accident, he broke.
a) broke down b) broke up c) broke out d) No improvement
14. The speaker asked the audience to bear upon him for a few minutes more.
a) on b) with c) for d) No improvement
15. Those men as are false to their friends should be avoided.
a) The men b) Men c) Sucli men d) No improvement
16. Many people find it difficult to make both hands meet.
a) both accounts b) both hands to mouth c) both ends meet d) No improvement
17. Young children are not physically capable to carry these loands.
a) have to carry these loads b) of carrying these loads c) carry these loads
d) No improvement
18. I enjoyed the ballet by a troupe of Russian dancers.
a) troop b) trouper c) trooper d) No improvement
19. The secretary threatened to resign his post
a) from his post b) to his post c) for his post d) No improvement
20. By the time be arrived every body, had gone home.
a) whenthe arrived b) at which he arrived c) by which he arrive
d) No improvement
1. (B): Characteristics of people is best shown in “doubtful”.
2. (C): “at” is used for generationally location and time & so incorrect. “with” is the correct
4. (D): Since would is used in the second part of the sentence then it has to be start with the
5. (C): “lest” means “in case”, so should is the correct option.
7. (B): Since there is no “to” is used after the underlined part, so denied is correct
8. (C): “fast & loose” is the correct phase
9. (A): Its talking about negative things, so “wrong” is correct
10. (C): Article is used for some fixed and concrete things, so correct.
11. (A): “Fifty miles” is taken as a singular, so “is” is correct.
12. (C): Subject names are taken as singular entity.
13. (A): “broke down” is the correct phase 14. (B)
15. (C): “Such” is most often used as a predeterminer
16. (C): “both end meets” is the correct option as meeting hands is quite simple
17. (B) 18. (D) 19. (A): letting off from something means use of “from”
Sentence Improvement---17052015 Reviewed by sambasivan srinivasan on 7:12:00 PM Rating: